Elgeyo-Marakwet, Meru, Nandi and Uasin Gishu counties
International Potato Center (CIP) POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Short-term Nutrition Officer to support nutrition strategy for a potato value chain project to be based in Nairobi, Kenya. The field sites are in Elgeyo-Marakwet, Meru, Nandi and Uasin Gishu counties.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by the 15 research centers who are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. The CIP Sub- Saharan Africa (SSA) regional office is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Position: The Nutrition Officer will be responsible in developing a strategy to integrate potato into the overall project nutrition strategy and training for trainers (project partners) in basic nutrition, the trainers who will then train farmers in nutrition and will work under the supervision of the Project Manager.
The principal tasks and responsibilities include the following:
- Map out how to mainstream potato into nutrition for agriculture domain;
- In collaboration with the project management unit of the project, develop a strategy to integrate potato into project nutrition activities;
- Training of trainers (ToT) in nutrition;
- Attend some trainings given be ToT to ensure quality control and correct messaging;
- Support in the M&E of the project in nutrition-related monitoring and evaluation;
- Contribute to any reports during the employment period.Selection criteria:
The successful Nutrition Officer will have:
- University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics, Human Nutrition, Public Health & Nutrition, or other relevant discipline(s);
- At least 3 years working experience in successful implementation of a nutrition program or a program with nutrition components, background/familiarity with community nutrition;
- Aptitude for teamwork, leadership, training, and communications;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Fluency in English and Swahili required;
- Willingness to travel and work under field conditions.
Conditions: This is a non-renewable temporary employment contract for three months.
Applications: Applicants should apply through CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a one-page cover letter summarizing their relevance for this position, and a full C.V. Screening of applications will begin on 31 August, 2016 and will continue until the post is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Elgeyo-Marakwet, Meru, Nandi and Uasin Gishu counties
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2016-08-31
Gaza (Palestinian Territory)
Damascus | Syria (Syria)
Kirkuk | Port-au-Prince (Iraq)