Senior Gender Advisor, El Salvador Local Goverance Project
San Salvador (El Salvador)
ABOUT GENDER RESOURCES:
GRI advances gender equality and women’s empowerment so that all people – women, men, boys, and girls – have equal abilities and opportunities to lead more fulfilling lives. We utilize innovative practices in adult education, communication technology, and results-based program management to achieve programs with tangible impacts for real people. GRI is a Woman Owned Small Business (WOSB) based in San Francisco, California.
GRI is recruiting for an experienced Senior Gender Advisor to oversee all gender activities for the upcoming USAID-funded local governance project in El Salvador. The anticipated program will increase trust in governance in El Salvador by supporting increased decentralization and strengthening the ability of municipalities to plan, pay for, and deliver effective, responsive services. The Advisor, based in San Salvador, will have overall accountability to ensure strategic development, delivery of project results, and client satisfaction for assigned activities. The Advisor will report to the program Deputy Chief of Party.
Citizens of El Salvador are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is contingent upon funding.
- Manage all gender equity and women’s empowerment activities and staff for the program
- Serve as the program’s primary point of contact for gender with counterparts and donors
- Oversee gender awareness courses for program staff and counterparts
- Oversee institutional development (including policy development and strategic planning) for the program counterparts and beneficiaries as relates to gender equity issues
- Manage women’s participation in internship programs for target municipalities
- Develop a constructive working relationship with gender staff and provide regular advice to other staff regarding gender issues
- Oversee subcontracts and grants to local firms related to gender equity and women’s empowerment
- Oversee production of consultant reports and other assigned project deliverables
- Contribute to monthly, quarterly, annual reports, work-plans, and success stories as required by client and GRI
- Travel throughout El Salvador to ensure successful delivery of program results
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Deputy Chief of Party
- BA required, MA strongly preferred
- Ten (10) years experience promoting women’s participation in governance; 15 years preferred
- Experience training local government officials and service providers on gender equality issues
- Proven experience with empowerment and gender and development (GAD) methodologies
- Experience developing high-level curriculum and training materials, based on best practices in adult education and behavior change
- Fluency in English and Spanish required
- Prior experience working on USAID programs preferred
- Excellent management and administrative skills
- The ability to think creatively and be proactive in program management
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders and policy makers
- Self-motivated and well organized
- Ability to work collaboratively, supportively, and respectfully with others
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility and willingness to travel to difficult environments to complete program assignments
- Citizens of El Salvador are strongly encouraged to apply
To apply, please visit GRI’s job’s board at
Pay is commensurate with position and experience.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
GRI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, disability, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, or pregnancy.