Finance Manager - Yemen
The following is a brief description of the role. The role of the Finance Manager is financial management and monitoring of NRC Yemen operations. He/she works closely with the Head of Programme, Area Managers, & Operations on financial and budgetary issues.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
- 1. Ensure that adequate financial management routines and systems are in place, and that NRC’s accounting practices and standards are adhered to, and are in accordance with quality and policy requirements from NRC, donors, auditors and authorities.
- 2. Maintain overall budget control and monitor cash flows and expenditures.
- 3. Provide up-to-date analysis and required reports of the financial situation in the projects and the programme to the Country Director, Programme Director, Area Managers, Programme Managers, Project Coordinators and the headquarters (HQ) in Oslo.
- 4. Take the Lead in Budget preparation, Budget monitoring and Budget Revisions.
- 5. Prepare financial reports to donors.
- 6. Focal point for all audits in Yemen
- 7. Reconcile accounts with NRC HQ in Oslo and NRC HoA Regional Office on agreed dates.
- 8. Maintain a particular responsibility towards transparency and accountability within finance.
- 9. Conduct training in financial management and maintain a supervisory role for the Finance team. This includes Identify the capacity building needs on financial issues in Yemen and ensure those relevant trainings are conducted.
- 10. Management of staff reporting directly to the FM as well as technical supervisory role for all the finance staff in Yemen
- • Relevant university degree, preferably business administration/financial management
- • At least 5 years financial management experience working with INGO in complex settings
- • Solid experience in working with donors such as SIDA, NMFA, DFID, ECHO etc
- Proven skills and experience in working with windows based computer software, and modern accounting-systems
- • Ability to plan for different sets of scenarios in relation to budgets and plans and provide analytical overviews
- • Excellent organizational, problem-solving and negotiation skills
- • Proven communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- • Coaching and capacity building skills
- • Political and cultural awareness and experience of working where insecurity is a major issue
- • Fluency in the English language, both written and verbal (arabic skills and advantage)
- Finance / Economics
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- • Goal oriented with the ability to remain calm whilst deal with conflicting priorities/work under pressure is essential.
- • The ability to take the initiative, think outside the box and work independently with limited supervision
- • Ability and willingness to work and live under difficult circumstances
- • Flexible, creative and co-operative
- • Communicating with impact and respect
- Behavioral competencies:
- The following are essential for this position:
- • Handling insecure environments
- • Strategic thinking
- • Empowering and building trust
- • Influencing
- • Initiate action and change
- • Analyzing
- Commencement: ASAP
- Contract period: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Yemen , Sana'a. Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Sanaa (Yemen)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Banking and Finance
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2016-09-15