Traineeship in Communication and Information Management Department
The ICRC's Department of Communication and Information Management (CIM) is offering a one year paid traineeship starting in October 2016 at the ICRC headquarters in Geneva.
Information and communication are at the core of what the ICRC does. As the first vital step in protecting and assisting people adversely affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence the ICRC gathers information on their situation that can be shared with ICRC colleagues concerned or, when it is in the interest of the data subject, with relevant decision-makers. The role of the Department of Communication and Information Management (CIM) is notably to ensure that ICRC staff has a secure access to relevant and reliable information, in line with data protection and data security standards, in order to provide a better response to humanitarian needs. The role of the post holder will be twofold:
- to assist the information security governance, led by CIM Department, in promoting policies and guidelines related to the responsible use of information and communication technologies.
- to assist the Direction of CIM Department in organizing internal consultations to revise the information strategy of the ICRC.
Tasks and responsibilities
The post holder will assist the Deputy Director of CIM with the following files:
- Information Security
- Data Protection
- Revision of the information strategy
- Strategies, partnership and innovation related to information systems
The post holder's main responsibilities related to the a/m files are the following:
- Carry out research and draft synthesis notes
- Contribute to the organization and follow up of internal/external meetings and workshops
- Collect and organize information
- Draft reports, messages and minutes of meetings
- Contribute to corporate communications, update the ICRC Intranet and organize surveys
- Contribute to presentations, roadmaps and training modules
- Contribute to other administrative tasks as required
Education and experience
- University or Master's degree in a relevant field (Information Management, Information Security or Data Protection)
- Demonstrated interest and knowledge of:
- Data Management
- Data security, cybersecurity and surveillance
- Data protection
- New information technologies
Competencies and profile required
- Excellent written and spoken English and French
- Strong computer literacy, familiarity with updating websites/intranet sites, Windows 8.1, Lotus Notes, Share Point and various software programs (Excel, Power Point).
- Ability to produce powerful documents and presentations and to communicate effectively
- Excellent organization skills, ability to take initiatives and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Interest in humanitarian concerns and international relations
- Understanding of the mandate and modus operandi of the ICRC
Paid traineeship contract, based in Geneva
Starting date: 17th October 2016 or at the latest 1st November 2016
Duration: 1 year
Application deadline: 15 September 2016
Interested candidates should send their application in either English or French, via email to email@example.com. Subject line should read: Traineeship at CIM.
Only completed application will be considered and it shall include:
- Cover letter expressing motivation for applying and relevant skills (max. 800 words)
- Resume/CV (max. 3 pages)
- Academic results
- Recommendation letter if any
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted subsequently for interviews.
Short-listed candidates may be asked to prepare a short assignment to be presented during the interview. Please be aware that the ICRC is not in a position to cover any related travel or accommodation costs. However, interviews may be conducted by phone.