Chief, Policy & Coordination Unit & Deputy Director
New York City
The post of Chief, Policy & Coordination Unit (PCU) is located at UNFPA Headquarters in the Technical Division, and reports to the Division Director. The Chief, Policy & Coordination Unit also serves as the Deputy Director and represents the Division in the absence of the Director and is a member of the Programme and the Management Committee. S/He assists the Director in the management, coordination, and substantive oversight of the work of the Division, including management oversight of human resources and financial resources. S/He deputizes for the Director in his/her absence, sharing specific substantive responsibilities with the Director and ensuring an integrated, synergistic and systems approach to the work of the Division as a whole.
The Chief PCU works under the overall guidance and supervision of the Technical Division Director and in close collaboration with members of the Technical Division Management Team – formed by Chiefs of the branches (Population & Development Branch, Sexual Reproductive Health Branch, Commodity Security Branch and the Gender, Human Rights & Culture Branch) within the Division. S/He works to ensure policy, normative and operational management and planning work done by the Technical Division Branches is coordinated and aligned with UNFPAs mission and objectives and fully contributes to the realization of UNFPA’s mandate and strategic plan, objectives including their funding. In all activities, s/he will ensure collaboration and coordination with internal and external stakeholders on strategic planning matters.
In the Deputy role, s/he serves as the Director’s principal Adviser on substantive issues as well as provides substantive support to the strategic direction, planning, management, implementation and monitoring of the work of the Division. S/He works closely with the Directorate team, including the Special Assistant to the Technical Division Director in support of the day to day management of the Division.
In addition, s/he assists the Director TD with ensuring overall coordination and collaboration: within TD; throughout the UNFPA technical network; with the Programme Division; Division of Strategic Communication and Partnerships, and the Division for Governance and Multilateral Affairs; with Regional Offices; and across UNFPA as a whole, to enhance the timeliness, relevance and quality of technical outputs.
The Chief, Policy & Coordination Unit also has primary responsibility for the following key roles, which impact on all Technical Division activities:
- Policy Analysis
- Technical policy leadership and coordination
- Strategic planning
- Management of resources
Education: Post-graduate university degree (preferably Ph.D) in one or more of the following disciplines: Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related field
Knowledge and Experience:
- 15 years’ experience of increasingly responsible professional experience in health economics, public administration, public health and/or international development, of which at least 8 years in the field of population and development at the international level;
- Expert and recognized authority in the area of Reproductive Health; Population and Development; or, Gender issues;
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams of high level experts or peers to achieve demonstrable results;
- Extensive network within the academic and development community;
- Excellent communication skills, speaking and writing in English;
- Strong interest in development work, especially the mission of the United Nations Population Fund and dedication to the principles of the United Nations; and,
- In-country field experience is a strong asset.