Monitoring & Evaluation Assistant (16-30)
Maputo, Gaza, and Inhambane
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 2016/030/NRS/MOZ/SSA MONITORING & EVALUATION ASSISTANT
Job description: The International Potato Center (CIP) seeks a talented and motivated Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant to support the design and implementation of the M&E program under the Mitigating Drought Impacts in Southern Mozambique through Resilient, Nutritious Sweetpotato Project in the South of Mozambique.
Location: Maputo, Gaza, and Inhambane, Mozambique
The Center: CIP (www.cipotato.org) is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for- development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions.
The Project: In response to the current drought affecting the majority of Mozambique, with severe effects in the South, the project aims to increase food security and improve the diets of 25,000 poor households in a total of 13 districts of Gaza (Guija, Chigubo, Chicualacuale, Mapai, Mabalane, and Massangena), Inhambane (Funhalouro, Govuro, and Mabote), and Maputo (Moamba, Magude, Boane, and Matutuine) provinces through the production and consumption of nutritious, orange-fleshed
sweetpotato (OFSP). Other specific objectives of the project include: 1) improve access to climate resilient, drought tolerant and nutritious OFSP varieties for households in the target regions; 2) increase capacity in the management of multiplication material, as well as improved production and storage among drought-affected communities; and, 3) to enhance nutrition knowledge and capacity for OFSP utilization in vulnerable households with children under 5 years of age. This is an USAID/OFDA funded project.
The Position: The Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant will directly report to the Project Coordinator and the Senior Economist. He/she will essentially support the development and implementation of appropriate monitoring and evaluation tools and processes taking into consideration the OFDA requirements. The M&E assistant will play a key role in guiding the project partners, beneficiaries and other relevant stakeholders in the participatory design and implementation of the M&E system. This includes active contribution to capacity development and training of the stakeholders and government officials involved in the implementation of the project. The Assistant will also support the Project Coordinator and the Senior Economist in documentation and reporting.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the Project Coordinator and the Senior Economist, assist in developing of a detailed Monitoring and Evaluation Plan in line with the OFDA Performance Indicators;
- Assist in supervising and quality checking the development of the prescribed activities under this OFDA funded project, that includes the multiplication and dissemination of the technologies, and closely check on the nutrition and marketing related activities;
- Support the design and implementation of market and other indicator surveys and technical studies recommended by USAID/OFDA;
- Conduct exposure and technical training sessions on the approved M&E system for staff under the project, implementing partners, stakeholders and other relevant extension agents and government officials. This includes the design of the necessary documentation and materials needed for M&E trainings;
- In collaboration with the Project Coordinator, produce periodic performance reports on the implementation performance for USAID/OFDA and key stakeholders;
- In collaboration with the Agronomist and the Nutritionist, document lessons learned in the implementation of the M&E system used for the dissemination of the new technologies related to OFSP varieties;
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) in Agricultural Economics, marketing or a related area. Specific formal training related to M&E is an advantage;
- At least three years of professional experience in developing and implementing M&E plan and strategies. Knowledge and proved experience with the USAID related Monitoring and Evaluation Framework is an added advantage;
- Proven experience and understanding of M&E and data requirements for nutrition and agriculture interventions;
- Demonstrated experience working with local contact farmers and extension agents;
- Direct experience of using ICT tools for M&E. Familiarity with data storage and processing tool is a plus;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Proven ability to work in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in Portuguese and English. Knowledgeable and familiarity with local languages is an added advantage;
- Mozambican Nationality;
- Willingness to travel frequently to the field and work under field conditions.
Conditions: The employment contract will be for a one-year term (with a three-month probation period). The salary will be very competitive, paid in Meticais, and commensurate with experience. This is a local position, and CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ ), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on 30 September, 2016 and will continue until the post is filled. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Maputo, Gaza, and Inhambane
- Grade: Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education - Administrative support
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Administrative support
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2016-09-30