WorldFish is an international, nonprofit research organization that harnesses the potential of fisheries and aquaculture to reduce hunger and poverty. Globally, more than one billion people obtain most of their animal protein from fish and approximately 800 million depend on fisheries and aquaculture for their livelihoods.
Utilizing its scientific expertise, its networks and partnerships, and an innovative ‘research in development’ approach, WorldFish increases the productivity and sustainability of fisheries and aquaculture and improves the lives of poor people who rely on them.
WorldFish is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
A unique opportunity has arisen for talented individuals to contribute to the mission of the organization.
As the Director of the Bangladesh Country Program, you will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and will be responsible for the management of the country program, including oversight of staffing, budgeting, training, and resourcing to sustain the program. In close consultation with the Center’s research programs on Resilient Small Scale Fisheries, Value Chains and Nutrition, and Sustainable Aquaculture, you will deliver an integrated fisheries and aquaculture program that applies a multifaceted, systems approach to address national priorities and Center goals. The program will contribute to building research and development capacities, and strengthening institutional and partnership capabilities across the fishery and supporting sectors, including research engagement in the South Asia region.
Success is measured in the delivery of the following key outcomes:
- A compelling multi-year program focusing the Center’s work in Bangladesh with clear strategic priorities in fisheries and aquaculture.
- A high quality pipeline of funding proposals designed to provide the resources required to fund this program.
- Quality design and timely, successful implementation of research projects funded by these proposals, including careful deployment and management of the human and financial resources needed to deliver the identified research outcomes.
- Well developed networks amongst funding agencies and development partners in Bangladesh, including in particular the Government of Bangladesh.
- High quality partnership networks and alliances in country, regionally and internationally as required to support achievement of the Center’s research and development outcomes.
- A culture of research and knowledge exchange with the Bangladesh program that builds capacities for producing consistent and quality science across the country program, including through participation of staff in researcher skill-sharing exchanges and international research institutions.
- Good quality oversight of Bangladesh finance, administrative and operational matters to ensure alignment with institutional goals and annual priorities.
- Empowered and high performing teams delivering on both operational and strategic priorities.
- Good quality contributions to the WorldFish global strategy, including through participation in global leadership meetings and forums.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
This job might be for you if you have:
- Masters or PhD-level qualifications in aquaculture and/or fisheries research and development.
- At least 10 years post-graduate professional experience in aquaculture and/or fisheries research and development, with at least 5 years in a senior leadership role.
- Proven analytical ability, has a strong initiative and good judgment skills.
- High degree of cultural sensitivity and proven record of effective working relationships in developing countries.
- Demonstrated track record in resource mobilization, in particular for aquaculture and fisheries research and development.
- Good research skills in an area relevant to Bangladesh’s priorities in aquaculture and fisheries.
- Excellent communication skills required with strong command of written English.
- Good leadership and mentoring skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi task.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Experience in organizing research communications and dissemination.
- Systems orientation to problem identification and solving.
- Understanding of both development policy process, and scientific research process in relevant disciplines.
- Strong networks and field experience of research in a WorldFish Program country, ideally in Bangladesh.
Timeframe and location
This position will be based at WorldFish’s country office in Dhaka, Bangladesh, with travels to other sites as required. Interviews are expected to be held in two stages:
a) Stage 1 Web-Based Interview on 18 November 2016.
b) Stage 2 In-Person Interview on 28 November 2016 in Penang.
The successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible for an initial 3 years fixed term contract, with possibility of extension depending on performance and funding situation.
WorldFish's Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) will receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) housing allowance, relocation and repatriation assistance, dependent education allowance*, home leave entitlement, comprehensive insurance coverage for staff and dependents*, and provident fund contribution. We offer a competitive compensation in USD and benefits package commensurate with the job level
* Subject to terms and conditions.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage women candidates and applicants from developing countries to apply.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 29 October 2016:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Click here to apply for this job.
- Organization: World Fish
- Location: Dhaka
- Grade: Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-10-29