DAMASCUS | Damascus
Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
In the Middle East region, Medair has programmes in Lebanon, Jordan (since 2012) and in Iraq (since 2014). In January 2015 Medair completed registration in Damascus to start a programme within Syria. The first full project cycle was completed in April 2016 and the programme continues to expand in its second year of programming. Key sectors are Health & Nutrition (rehabilitation of facilities, support to basic services and capacity building), WASH (rehabilitation of urban water supply, urban sanitation) and by end 2016 the aim is to also implement in Shelter (kits for sub-standard buildings and support in collective shelters). Access to project locations by international staff is limited, as movement permissions are often restricted, however national staff typically has regular direct access. This position is reliant on obtaining Government of Syria approval for visa & residency. Nationality may be a factor. For those interested in the role, there will be opportunity for follow-up discussion as part of the recruitment process.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Field based position in Damascus, Syria. Take a look at Medair’s work in Syria**.**
Initial Contract Details
Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
· Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects in consultation with the relevant Sector Managers and in accordance with the project proposals.
· Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated projects, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
· Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted and reports made to the relevant in-country or HQ managers or to donors. Due to restrictions on movement permissions for international staff, make effective use of remote management approaches where necessary.
· Maintain an overview of the regional context.
· Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
· Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
· Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors and line managers.
· Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
· Seek out and actively participate in local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues.
· Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects in accordance with donor guidelines.
· Monitor the spending of the projects to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
· Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines.
· Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching.
· Hold regular team meetings through a consultative leadership style.
· Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated projects by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
· In conjunction with the Country Director, monitor and review the security status of the areas of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies.
· Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
· Ensure security plans and protocols for the areas of operation are updated and implemented in response to changes in the security situation.
· Oversee preparation of movement permissions and act as primary SFP (Security Focal Point) during field trips.
· Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
· Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
Field - Team Spiritual Life
· Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
· Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
· Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
· Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
· Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
· University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
· Post-graduate degree in the humanitarian sector and security management training.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
· At least 3 years’ experience in a relief environment with a humanitarian INGO.
· At least 2 years’ experience of managing projects and teams in insecure environments.
· Experience of remote management and in engineering contract management.
· Experience with data analysis packages, tablets & smartphones & associated software in assessments.
· Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and CHS Standards.
· Advanced leadership, project management, networking and advocacy skills.
· Monitoring and Evaluation in remote management settings.
· Experience of representation at national and local levels.
· Acceptance of limited or no direct beneficiary contact.
· Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
· Able to persevere in the face of difficulties and discouragements.
· Able to cope with basic and/or restrictive living conditions in the field.
· Willingness to be stretched professionally, personally, and spiritually.
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) roles in the field
· Professionals with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience (Experienced Relief Workers).
· Professionals with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience (New Relief Workers).
· Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise.
· Overseas intercultural experience.
· Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, and external contacts.
· Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions.
· Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit.
· Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
· All potential candidates for field positions must successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC). Information, dates and related costs can be found via this link.
Benefits Package provided to all Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
· Comprehensive briefing at our Swiss Headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing.
· Security training for those going to insecure environments.
· Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country.
· Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service).
· Depending on the working environment, either weekends off or Rest and Recuperation (R&R) leave.
· Annual leave.
· Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post-assignment coverage, including debriefing.
· Disability insurance.
Specific benefits for Experienced Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience)
· A salary based upon the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder, starting from USD 1,700 per month.
· Contribution matching programme for retirement savings.
· Additional contract benefit allowance for those who commit to longer contracts.
· Highly subsidised contribution to Medair ROC travel and accommodation costs.
· The living conditions in Damascus are modern and reasonable. Movement is straightforward within the designated area for International staff (approx. 5km x 2 km area), including walking between apartment and office. However movement permissions for international staff are often very limited for project sites.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Then to apply, go to http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/project-coordinator-syr-damascus then:
c) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
d) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
You can follow us on Facebook , Twitter , or LinkedIn .
- Organization: Medair
- Location: DAMASCUS | Damascus
- Grade: Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2017-01-16