Human Resources Manager
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the camp management, shelter, education, food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. Borno State is host to the largest number of IDPs with the biggest concentration in Maiduguri City. NRC is providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The Human Resources Manager reports to the Country Director.
- The purpose of the HR Manager is to be responsible that the HR system is according to NRC standard and to support programme/project implementation.
- Implement NRC’s HR and admin systems and procedures
- Ensure that country set up adhere to Employment standards, HR policy and other NRC policies
- Ensure compliance with the local labor law
- Recruitment: ensures timely, transparent and compliant recruitment processes
- Induction: Ensures planning and coordination of induction of new staff
- Responsible for ensuring that requirements of the national legal framework are set up, respected and complied with, and other lawful obligations.
- Performance management: Provide support to line managers in the implementation of the NRC performance management system
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a senior HR Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal (knowledge of local lanaguage is an advantage)
- Knowledge of the context in Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa) – if different than English
- Experience in building an HR structure
- Initiating action and change
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments
- Commencement: November 2016
- Duration: 12 months
- Position type: National position
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Abuja, with frequent travels.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Abuja
- Grade: Mid level
- Emergency Aid
- Human Resources
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-10-21