The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmes include protection, livelihoods, food distribution, water and sanitation, emergency relief and advocacy amongst others.
The DRC office in Nairobi is a Regional Office providing support and guidance of DRC operations in Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Uganda, Tanzania and Yemen. There are also regional programmes which are supported from the regional office. Currently there are over 1,200 staff in the region.
The Administration Officer will be oversee all aspects of administrative support at the DRC regional office. S/he will ensure efficient operations and procedures and ensure implementation of administrative policies at the regional office. This will include office maintenance & management, guesthouse management, lease agreements, and systems development. The Administration Officer is expected to develop systems that will contribute to improve efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the administrative operations.
Facilities Office management
- Ensure all office infrastructures are appropriate, safe and functioning (i.e. security system, health and safety, communications, etc.)
- Oversee all aspects of office maintenance and cleanliness.
- In conjuction with the safety team, ensure safety and security issues for the general security of the office.
- Ensure insurance plan is in place for all office buildings and equipment, and updated at all times.
- Maintain and update lease agreements and coordinate the renewal of leases for office premises, guesthouse and expatriate housing. Act as the focal point for liaision with landlords.
- Coordinate handover of leased properties and ensure security deposits are refunded on timely basis.
- Ensure repairs and maintenance of facilities in compliance with DRC standards and procedures.
- Manage the administration team to ensure overall efficiency.
- Management of the guesthouse ensuring all infrastructures are safe and functioning.
- Oversee all aspects of upkeep and cleanliness at the guesthouse.
- Ensure guesthouse stocks and supplies are in place, and monitor their utilization.
- Ensure the Guesthouse Handbook is updated on regular basis, and available at the guesthouse.
- Act as focal point for guesthouse and expatriate houses, liaise with property landlords on any matters arising. Oversee repairs as required.
- Ensure all utility payments are done on timely basis.
- Ensure meetings for the senior management team are organised and other administrative support as may be required.
- Act as backup to the Travel Officer.
- Any other duties as requested by HR & Admin Manager or Regional Head of Finance & Admin.
- Oversee the new staff orientation process and ensure that all new staff receive appropriate information and coordinate arrangments as per the new-staff arrival checklist.
- Maintain leave database for all Nairobi-based regional office national staff and expatriate staff;
- Prepare and circulate leave status report to HoDs on quarterly basis; flagging out unspent balances.
- Any other duties are requested.
The Administration Officer reports to the Regional HR Manager & Administration Manager.
The Administration Officer supervises the Administration Assistant, Office cleaners, Gardener and guesthouse support staff.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability committments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework
- A degree in Business Administration.
- At least five years' experience in administration, in an international NGO in a similar role at mid-management level.
- Strong people management skills with demonstrated ability to lead, build and motivate teams.
- Strong planning and coordination skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and organization
- Ability to handle substantial workload of diverse tasks in a fast paced environment with competing priorities.
- Knowledge of travel and immigration procedures. Must have experience in handling humanitarian flight services .
- Positive attitude and service oriented with a high level of personal initiative and pro-active problem solving.
- Able to work with minimum supervision and accomplish results.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to maintain open communication at all levels across the organization.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.dk under vacancies no later than 20 October, 2016.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
Only candidates with right to work in Kenya will be considered
Danish Refugee Council does not charge any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-10-20