Senior Resources Management Officer
Nairobi | Kenya
Position Title : Senior Resources Management Officer
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 25 October 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
- External female candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and in close collaboration with the Regional Office for East and Horn of Africa, Department of Resource Management (DRM) in Headquarters (HQs) and the Administrative Centres (MAC/PAC), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing the budgetary, financial, human resources, procurement and administrative functions of the Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Monitor and oversee the financial management for all activities in the Mission including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; undertake financial analysis of projects, identify risks and initiate mitigation measures in coordination with the project managers.
Supervise management of the treasury by forecasting cash flows according to activities in the Mission and ensuring daily control of funds disbursed; ensure funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
Maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the Organization's assets, control cash and prevent fraud.
Prepare annual budget for the Mission, oversee budget control process and analyze variances between budget and actual expenditures. Assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes.
Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM's projectization criteria.
In coordination with relevant HQs units, produce permanent instructions and procedures to complement or to adapt the general instructions of IOM, taking into consideration the volume of activities, staffing and the constraints and specific needs, namely in the areas of general administration, finance and human resources.
Assist the CoM in managing the human resources function and make recommendations on recruitment, retention, promotion, and separation of local staff. Interpret and apply Human Resources (HR) policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases.
Supervise and train staff on IOM's administrative/financial policies and procedures; evaluate regular financial reports and take action to resolve anomalies and unusual trends.
Supervise the procurement and logistic services, including contracts with suppliers of goods and services and related administration authorities; oversee the management of the fleet of vehicles and maintenance of buildings as well as the functioning of all support services.
Liaise with relevant units at HQs and Manila Administrative Centre (MAC), as well as relevant external counterparts with regard to the financial and administrative activities of the Mission; report regularly on the financial situation of the Mission and provide other information as necessary.
Support and offer guidance to other units (programmes and sub-offices) on matters related to IOM administrative issues, local institutions and regulations and human resources problems with a view to increasing their effectiveness.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Commerce, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant is an advantage.
• Management experience at the international level, accompanied by background in finance, accounting and budgeting; good knowledge of human resource management;
• Field experience a plus, including in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as international institutions;
• Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable;
• Knowledge of IOM Accounting systems, software and procedures, a distinct advantage;
• High level of computer literacy, in particular, experience in computerized accounting systems and software.
Fluency in English is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 25 October 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 12.10.2016 to 25.10.2016
Requisition: VN 2016/184 (P)- Senior Resources Management Officer (P4)- Nairobi, Kenya (54856338) Released
Posting: Posting NC54856341 (54856341) Released