Project Support Manager
Bunia | Kinshasa
Role & Responsibilities
This varied and challenging role involves coordinating and managing the main support functions including general administration, base management, finance, human resources, logistics and security. With line management responsibility for staff involved in support roles. In the absence of the Project Coordinator, the Project Support Manager also represents Medair at relevant meetings with contractors, local authorities, NGOs and other stakeholders.
Emergency health projects targeting displaced, war affected and vulnerable populations in NE Congo. Developmental projects aimed at long term and sustainable behaviour change in general population and state health employees to improve public health outcomes.
Based in Bunia, Eastern D.R. Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in D.R. Congo**.**
Initial Contract Details
Full time, minimum contract 12 months
Key Activity Areas
Project Support Management
· Ensure the smooth running of the assigned base including staff supervision, security, maintenance and liaison with landlords, contractors and suppliers.
· Supervise all financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines and internal and external audit requirements are met.
· Ensure all internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed.
· Oversee all human resource activities, supporting line managers as required in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc.
· Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to, including contracts, statutory deductions, record keeping, etc.
· Provide logistical support to programme staff and field bases, including managing the supply chain, vehicles, assets, IT and communication equipment and the training of logistics staff.
· Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, particularly in the areas of procurement, storage and transportation.
· Monitor that regular computer back-ups, virus updates and routine maintenance are carried out and provide IT trouble-shooting if required.
· In collaboration with the PC work with field managers and HQ staff in the preparation and development of budgets for support and shared costs, ensuring they meet all relevant Medair and donor requirements.
· Manage and track expenditure of assigned budget, ensuring spending is in accordance with donor requirements and time frames and notifying the relevant field managers of any necessary adjustments.
· In the absence of the PC, attend all relevant external coordination and security meetings and feedback information, as applicable, to the appropriate managers and staff.
· Ensure security procedures are in place, guidelines are kept up-to-date and staff receive relevant security information. This includes reviewing security arrangements on a regular basis, maintaining communication, providing briefings and ensuring the availability of emergency equipment.
· Provide support in managing security incidents as required, including the writing of incident reports.
· Draw up, manage and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers, ensuring they remain valid and relevant and that the terms and conditions are followed.
· Submit accurate and timely internal reports as required by field management and HQ and contribute on request to external reports.
· Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all transactions, that records are kept in an orderly and timely fashion and that the filing (archive) system is in line with Medair and donor requirements.
· Manage and oversee the assigned programme support staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
· Hold regular team meetings with the assigned programme support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
· Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
· Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
· Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
· In conjunction with relevant managers review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
Field - Team Spiritual Life
· Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
· Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
· Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
· Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
· Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
· University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
· Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· Post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
· Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
· Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
· Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
· Strong organisational and time management skills.
· Good numerical and report writing skills.
· Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.
· Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
· Problem solving ability, excellent communicator.
· Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) roles in the field
· Professionals with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience (Experienced Relief Workers).
· Professionals with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience (New Relief Workers).
· Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise.
· Overseas intercultural experience.
· Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, and external contacts.
· Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions.
· Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit.
· Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
· All potential candidates for field positions must successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC). Information, dates and related costs can be found via this link.
Benefits Package provided to all Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
· Comprehensive briefing at our Swiss Headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing.
· Security training for those going to insecure environments.
· Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country.
· Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service).
· Rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food).
· Annual leave.
· Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post-assignment coverage, including debriefing.
· Disability insurance.
Specific benefits for Experienced Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience)
· A salary based upon the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder, starting from USD 1,700 per month.
· Contribution matching programme for retirement savings.
· Additional contract benefit allowance for those who commit to longer contracts.
· Highly subsidised contribution to Medair ROC travel and accommodation costs.
Specific benefits for New Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience)
· USD 300 per month.
· As soon as 12 months relief work or its equivalent has been completed, a salary based upon the grade of the position, starting from USD 1,700 per month, and other experienced relief worker benefits.
· This is a field position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
· Occasional insecurity may cause periods of restricted movement. Curfews may be periodically imposed for security reasons.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Then to apply, go to http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/project-support-manager-drc-bunia then:
c) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
d) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
You can follow us on Facebook , Twitter , or LinkedIn .
- Organization: Medair
- Location: Bunia | Kinshasa
- Grade: Junior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2017-02-13