Breeding Software Product Manager
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for a Breeding Software Product Manager with experience in developing information management systems for large-scale integrated breeding and trait/gene discovery programs, to lead efforts in developing an enterprise system useful for CGIAR and national breeding programs.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s Main Campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico (located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico), but will interact with other CIMMYT offices around the world on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with breeders and research managers engaged in molecular and field based breeding to understand software users’ requirements and experiences both from the individual user and enterprise perspective, define informatics gaps, and evaluate tools which may fit gaps, define any improvement needs for tools, establish priorities for improvements, and define needs for novel tool development.
- Work with the wider community of CGIAR breeders and bioinformatics staff to create product road maps for individual applications and for an overall breeding informatics toolbox; document linkages and gaps within and between applications.
- Manage investments in the area of enterprise tool development: develop and monitor implementation of project plans; work with providers to define and monitor projects and components; communicate project status to stakeholders; organize effective user testing and feedback; and ensure change, configuration, and release management procedures are followed.
- Support migration to and adoption of the system by CGIAR centers and national agricultural research systems in the developing world.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Computer Sciences or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar position.
- Strong track record of:
- Developing enterprise level breeding informatics tools.
- Software product development and modification management.
- Agile software development methods.
- Planning and managements of sprints.
- Familiarity with breeding processes, related terminology, and basic features of genealogical, phenotypic, and genotypic data.
- Proficiency in English, with good written/oral communication and presentation skills.
- High level of cultural sensitivity and ability to work in multicultural teams.
- Willingness to travel to research centers in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
- Certification in project management desirable.
- Relationship management
- Customer orientation
- Achievement orientation
- Change management
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for 16839 Breeding Software Product Manager. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, 21 November 2016. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at email@example.com.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
- Organization: CIMMYT
- Location: Mexico City
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-03-31