Country Director - Yemen
NRC’s Horn of Africa & Yemen operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across nine countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, South Sudan and Yemen), and most recently Eritrea, Uganda and Tanzania. NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to ensure a greater number of vulnerable people in hard to reach areas get access to humanitarian assistance, become resilient to future disasters and find durable solution. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
In Yemen, NRC commenced operations in June 2012, with a focus on the timely response to the needs of communities affected by displacement and conflict. As a result of the current conflict an estimated 21.1 million people are in need of assistance of which 2.3 million are displaced. NRC’s strategy in Yemen is to ensure that vulnerable populations in hard to reach areas are included in NRC’s humanitarian and durable solutions programming. NRC is currently operating in 7 Governorates in Yemen from bases in Sana’a, Aden and Hodeida delivering life-saving interventions in WASH, Shelter and Food Security. Based on its programming NRC is focusing its advocacy efforts in Yemen on improved humanitarian access, the protection of IDPs, refugees and conflict-affected populations and the right to education. In 2016 NRC will also respond in the sector of Education.
Reporting to the Regional Director, the Country Director has the overall responsibility of the management of the country operations.
- National representation and coordination
- Development and execution of country strategy
- All in-country activities, personnel and the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Safety and security of all staff
- Country level advocacy
- Resource allocation and mobilization
- Cost efficiency and quality, including implementation of control mechanisms
- Adequate country structures and systems
- Learning, training and development of all staff, including a strategy for national staff development
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Minimum 5 years experience from working as a Senior Manager/Country Director in humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of the context in Yemen
- Experience in remote management of programs
- Behavioral competencies
- These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioral competencies and the following are essential for this position:
- Strategic thinking
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Commencement: ASAP
- Contract period: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Yemen , Sana'a.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and to check that its partners/employees have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: sana'a
- Grade: Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-11-15