Shelter Programe Development Manager, Ukraine
In light of the ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine, causing displacement of civilians and increasing pressures on resources and host communities, NRC has established a long-term Country Programme in Ukraine in line with NRC’s mission statement and core competencies. The main focus is for NRC to provide emergency response to the conflict-affected population including IDPs, returnees, host communities and local communities. However, due to the continued displacement from the regions of Donetsk and Luhansk, NRC is looking for medium-term opportunities to address additional needs with a focus on areas where NRC’s strength and added value may be relevant.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
In 2016, NRC will continue its Shelter/NFI and ICLA activities, as well initiate transitional and early recovery interventions through livelihoods restoration with the development of agricultural and market rehabilitation activities, which include a cash based intervention component.
NRC Ukraine is now seeking a Shelter Programme Development Manager (PDM)
The purpose of the Shelter PDM position is to design, develop and implement projects within Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI) distribution and to contribute to the development/evolution of the country program in NRC Ukraine. The PDM role is to manage the team and ensure capacity building and transferring knowledge to the technical team. The Shelter PDM reports to the Area Manager.
- Generic responsibilities:
- Overall responsible for management of Shelter projects (including NFI distribution), Shelter PM, Shelter Coordinators and other senior technical staff
- Compliance and adherence to core competency tools and handbooks and other NRC policies
- Coordinate and manage shelter project implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality and synergies of projects, and providing regular reports to the Area Manager, Country Director and the Shelter Advisers at HO
- Contribute to the development of Country, Area and CC strategies
- Responsible for development of technical SOPs / guidelines and Macro LFAs.
- Contribute to identifying funding opportunities
- Responsible of development and manage funding proposal, project budgets and donor reports
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local and national authorities and stakeholders and represent NRC in relevant forums/cluster/working groups.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Specific responsibilities:
- Identify needs for conflict affected population and provide appropriate assistance in terms of winterisation (reconstruction, in-kind assistance, cash assistance, etc.), including NFI distribution.
- Contribute to promoting integrated programming (with other CCs – ICLA, FS/Livelihoods) through systematic planning/cooperation with other CCs.
- Lead the efforts of the Country Office in developing/promoting durable housing solutions for conflict-affected populations in eastern Ukraine, including through cooperation with other stakeholders (authorities, civil society, local NGOs, UN Agencies, INGOs, KfW/GIZ, etc.).
- Lead and train a developing team of program and national support staff ensuring that all objectives are achieved in a timely manner and according to strategy, methodology and plans defined.
- Dedicate significant time/effort through training/coaching/mentoring to develop the management capacity of the national Shelter Project Manager, as part of NRC Ukraine’s nationalisation efforts.
- Generic professional competencies:
- Minimum 5 years of international experience in senior level management positions in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Higher education, preferably within architecture or engineering or related fields of study
- Technical shelter expertise
- Solid experience with project cycle management (PCM)
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in Ukraine will be an asset
- Knowledge of Ukrainian or Russian language will be an advantage
- Solid understanding and experience of crisis contexts and working in complex emergencies, as well as in the recovery/transition phase (including vis-à-vis durable shelter housing solutions for IDPs)
- Ability to work with diplomacy, tact and sensitivity and experience in working within different cultural contexts requiring cultural sensitivity.
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments
- Transparent and accountable
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
- Commencement: End of February 2017
- Contract period: 12 months, with possibility of extension
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s International general directions
- Duty station: Severodonetsk, with 25% to the project locations. Eastern Ukraine is non family duty station
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Severodonetsk
- Grade: Mid level
- Emergency Aid
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2016-11-23