Camp Management Coordinator, Thessaloniki - NRC Greece
NRC started operations on Chios in mid-October 2015 and has since directly assisted over 90,000 refugees and migrants, working together with the Greek authorities, humanitarian actors and volunteers to set up and maintain a dignified and efficient flow of refugees from arrival at the beach, via registration and reception facilities, to departure by boat or plane to mainland Greece.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
After the implementation of the EU-Turkey deal in March 2016, almost 50,000 refugees have been stranded on mainland Greece, mostly living in formal and informal sites, the majority of which are concentrated around Athens in Attica and Thessaloniki in Central Macedonia. In response, in April 2016 NRC expanded its operation to mainland Greece and established an office in Thessaloniki.
The purpose of the Camp Management (CM) Coordinator position is to implement Information Management activities within the camp management project. The CM Coordinator reports to Camp Management Project Manager
- Generic responsibilities:
- Line management of Camp Management project field staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to Camp Management strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of Camp Management projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from PM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to PM
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Specific responsibilities:
- Oversee the collection, management and maintenance and analysis of site-related data, including population data.
- Support the process of ID Card issuance to NRC “Site Management Support” (SMS) site residents, to optimise access to services, including winterisation distributions.
- Ensure effective use of data for streamlining of service provision in NRC SMS sites (shelter occupancy monitoring, targeted provision of assistance to persons with specific needs during winterisation, centralisation of distribution records, etc.)
- Through the SMS Working Group for Northern Greece, support/capacity build other actors in the field of SMS-related information and data management.
- Support regular site monitoring to identify shortfalls by Site Management in SPHERE or other minimum standards, vis-a-vis winterisation, including through the regular production of site profiles.
- Experience of Camp Management project implementation in a position in a humanitarian/recovery context, including information/data management, community engagement
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Strong skills in information/data management, especially for delivery of assistance
- Knowledge of Arabic very desirable and Greek an asset
- Handling insecure contexts
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
- Commencement: Asap 2016
- Contract period: 6 months with possibility of extension
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Thessaloniki, Greece with 5% travel
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Thessaloníki
- Grade: Mid level
- Emergency Aid
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-11-24