Business Processes Manager
The Manager leads the efforts to support all functions to document and improve standard operating procedures (policies, procedures, guidelines) and training for compliance and monitoring. S/he is responsible for documenting finance processes (financial planning and analysis, accounting, accounts payable, etc) to ensure controls are established to oversight operations and to minimize risk. S/he will facilitate the onboarding and training curriculum and ensure the content is relevant to current efforts and practices. S/he partners with subject matter experts to ensure that library standards and training is available to all staff (contracts and grants management, finance, accounting, purchasing, inventory management, travel, business development, risk management, etc.).
Business process analysis, design, implementation, and management (30%)
- Consult and provide guidance and information to internal clients on process development or redesign initiatives.
- Manage and negotiate the timelines of the process improvement projects focusing on the development, implementation, administration and operation of new business processes and strategies.
- Monitor and provide updates on post-implementation and conformance reviews with a focus on continuous improvement and compliance.
- Act as a main business process improvement expertise contact point and provide direction, mentoring and guidance to less experienced staff providing them ongoing support in process design, process support and process operations.
- Advise internal clients on the issues and problems that may arise as process implementation activities and improvements occur.
Manage operating procedures library (20%)
- Create, enhance, and maintain the procedures library which includes a complete range of policies, procedures, best practices, tools, forms, and job-aids usable by staff worldwide to efficiently and effectively support projects and country operations for all functions (contract administration, finance, accounting, business development, procurement).
- Manager partners effectively with key stakeholders (process owners) and other appropriate staff to gather and validate flowcharts and narratives needed for the standard operation procedures library.
Accounting and financial compliance (20%)
- Set up compliance tools for financial and accounting oversight and monitoring and manage the implementation of those tools.
- Develop an effective system to monitor controls are in place to minimize risk; furthermore, implement compliance tools for planning and budgeting, and finance and accounting processes.
- Work closely with the Director of BSS to monitor implementation of these processes and for clarity of communication of the processes.
On-boarding and training facilitation for functions worldwide (15%)
- Facilitate and lead on-boarding and training programs to provide staff with the tools needed to perform their duties in an effective and efficient manner.
Management and Supervision (15%)
- Manage the work of the Policies and Standards staff that supports the various teams.
- Supervisory responsibilities include, but are not limited to, developing and agreeing goals and work plans, meeting with supervisees on a regular basis to discuss issues, track work progress, provide guidance and support, and ensure consistent quality of work performed; conducting Performance Plan and Reviews; communicating, implementing and assuring adherence to MSH policies, guidelines and values; developing staff skills and knowledge; approving time sheets; and facilitating supervisee success whenever possible.
Qualifications and Experience
- A postgraduate degree in finance, accounting or similar field.
- At least 7 years’ experience in finance operations (finance, accounting, financial planning and analysis) or related experience is required.
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience on improving finance processes, risk and controls.
- Experience with documenting and flowcharting business processes, in particular finance processes.
- Experience writing policies and procedures required.
- Experience mapping and analyzing processes required
- Experience with international, complex, matrixed organizations required
- Experience with aspects of federal cost reimbursement practices, such as the Federal Acquisitions Regulations (FAR) and USAID regulations strongly desirable.
- Prior work experience with non-USG, foundations and other donors desirable.
- Experience building capacity/ training diverse groups highly desirable, both in a classroom or in an electronic setting
- Public Accountant certification preferred
Knowledge and Skills
- Proficient in finance, accounting, planning and budgeting, risk, compliance, internal controls and staff leadership.
- Excellent finance processes knowledge and writing skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all teams and field operations staff toward the achievement of delivering the training and procedures.
- Skilled at working in a culturally diverse environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of adult learning techniques.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Organized and detail-oriented.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Fluent English required; working knowledge of French and or Spanish is highly desirable.
- Able to see the ‘big picture’ and understand the holistic approach to process improvement and innovation
- Able to motivate, gain buy in, and effectively solicit input from staff affected by the changes and improvements in business processes
- To continue process innovation, must be determined, self-motivated, and with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Group facilitation
- Capable of managing work with shifting priorities
- Able to manage and coordinate a variety of activities simultaneously
- Can work in a team-oriented environment while driving for results
- Perform logical analysis
- Creative problem solving
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Process oriented
Ability to travel internationally as needed (up to 30% time).
Office environment including keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10 lbs.
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-12-31