Communication & Advocacy Specialist
Panamá (Panama) | Panama City
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In close collaboration with relevant Units in the Regional Office and HQ and UN Women’s field offices across the Americas and Caribbean region, the Communications Consultant will implement communications and media strategies and work plans. The Consultant will support the management of media/press relations and the production of a range of communications and outreach materials for UN Women, including for the UN Women Regional Office website and social media. Furthermore, she/he will ensure the timely, accurate and high-quality informational materials, such as press releases & media advisories, news briefs, fact sheets, stories from the field etc. for media outreach, the UN Women website, and inclusion in informational kits for further public outreach.
The Communications Consultant will collaborate closely with the Headquarters, Regional, Multi-Country Office and Country Offices (RO/MCO/CO) colleagues to develop and propose communications strategies, cultivate and handle media relations and undertake organizational outreach efforts aligned with corporate communication policies and initiatives. The Consultant will collaborate with RO/MCO and CO colleagues to support outreach campaigns, resource mobilization and donor relations initiatives; will ensure visibility for UN Women in key intergovernmental processes and observance dates and support the planning and implementation of activities and special events organized by UN Women.
Duties and Responsibilities
Develop and implement UN Women’s Regional Communications Strategies for the Americas and Caribbean Region
- Support, enhance and implement regional communications, information and advocacy strategies;
- Implement communications components for the HeForShe campaign;
- Conduct analysis on communication and advocacy needs and strategy including consultation with relevant units and offices on how the communication strategy will support the socialization, promotion and mainstreaming of gender equality.
Support the management of UN Women media/press relations
- Implement media strategies aimed to enhance the positioning of UN Women with the media on regional priority areas of concern;
- Prepare talking points for interview with the Regional Director and senior managers;
- Draft press releases and media kits;
- Maintain contacts with regional and national media; topics, background information, news-related developments and coverage of interest to each identified.
Update UN Women website and social media channels with relevant and timely content, including from field offices
- Support the process of updating of UN Women regional web site, ensuring technical and editorial quality, and coordinate web presence of multi-country and COs in the region and in line with the corporate web policy;
- Support the management of regional social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy or provides inputs to corporate social media accounts;
- Draft brochures, fact sheets, stories from the field to inform media and general public;
- Produce information and outreach materials for different purposes and audiences, ensuring quality and timeliness of materials produced.
Liaise closely with UN Women Communications Team at HQ to feed regional/national initiatives into corporate communications initiatives and vice versa. Coordinate communication activities with UN communication colleagues at regional /national level Liaise with HQ Communications Section to ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiative;
Contribute and provide advice on UN Women corporate materials, e.g. corporate web site, illustrated Annual Report, video productions etc. to highlight regional / national initiatives and ensure visibility at the corporate / international level;
Liaise with Communications Officers from other UN entities at the regional / country level to provide UN Women inputs to joint UN initiatives;
Provide timely and high quality support to field offices in their communications plans and activities.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity
- Excellent communication and writing skills. Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Demonstrates very good understanding of and experience in communications and outreach
- Proven networking skills, and ability to generate interest in UN Women’s mandate
- Strong initiative-taker and creativity
- Very effective at multi-tasking and problem solving
- Demonstrate team spirit, ability coordinate, collaborate and support the work of the team
- Focuses on impact and results for the client
- Knowledge of UN Women’s areas of work
- Interacts effectively with all levels of the organization, including senior management
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Identifies opportunities and builds strong relationships with clients and partners
- Demonstrates exceptional ability to remain calm, in control and good humored
- Advanced degree in communications, journalism, public relations, social sciences, international relations, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years proven experience (post-Masters) in successful development and implementation of communications strategies and plans at the international level, including experience in media relations.
- Proven experience in on-line outreach and multimedia an asset.
- Proven international experience, preferably within the LAC region, in the area of communications, public relations and/or journalism.
- Experience working in development agency an asset.
- Good IT skills, including databases and office software packages.
- Familiarity with gender and/or development issues, UN Women and UN system is an asset.
- Outstanding oral and written communications and editing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Fluency in Spanish and English (written and oral).
- Knowledge of Portuguese and/or French an asset.
To apply you must go to the following link: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=69566
All applications can include only one attachment that consists of a complete and signed UN Women Personal History Form (P11) together with an updated English CV. Applications without the complete P11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment. Please combine all your documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document. The electronic version of the P11 can be downloaded from the following website:
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required : English Spanish
Expected Duration of Assignment : 6 months
Applications received after 28 November 2016 will not be considered.