Natural Resource Management (NRM) Specialist, Water Governance in FATA (Environment Cell)
IUCN and the FATA Secretariat are implementing the project Water Governance FATA (Environmental Cell) with the financial assistance of Swiss Agency for Development & Cooperation (SDC).
Consisting of seven administrative Agencies and six smaller Frontier Regions, the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) is situated between the latitudes of 31° and 35° North, and the longitudes of 69° 15' and 71° 50' East. It spans over an approximate area of 27,220 km2. It shares its boundaries with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly NWFP) to the east, Balochistan to its south and Afghanistan to its west.
The project “Water Governance in FATA (Environment Cell)” is designed to address three major areas and illustrated as under:
• Ecologically Sustainable Development Planning – Improving the current development process by adopting the generic planning process covering aspects of project identification, formulation, and appraisal and at the same time addressing major ecological challenges being faced in sectors related to natural resources with a special focus on ecological aspects of water governance. The Cell will be housed in P&D Department and work in partnership with sectors related to natural resources having focus on ecological aspects of water governance.
• Ecological Challenges of Water Governance - Conduct studies and research to characterize and classify the major river basins in terms of surface cover, land use, net primary productivity of range and forests, carrying capacity of rangelands, soil erosion, and ecological challenges focussing on sub-basins of FATA. Sharing of outputs with all the relevant partners so that the output becomes part of the development planning process. The river basins and sub-basins delineated by the Water Governance Programme Phase-I will be used in this study and collaboration will be developed for ecological classification.
• Collaboration and Partnership: Work in close collaboration with the forthcoming “Water Governance Programme for FATA” and with active partnership with the institutions and organizations of various Agencies and Frontier Regions (public- and private sectors, civil society and local organizations).
Under the overall supervision of Chief Economist, FATA P&DD, coordinating with Team Leader, Environment Cell and in close collaboration with concern directorates of FATA, advisors/consultants for other components, the Natural Resource Management Specialist will be responsible for following activities:
Develop Capacity of the FATA directorates and line departments to design/develop green sector/NRM related projects ensuring environmental sustainability through sound planning and implementation.
SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
1. Provide Technical support to concerned departments in designing, planning and implementing natural resource based projects and programmes in FATA.
2. Provide technical assistance to FATA directorates and partners in NRM strategies and plans.
3. Identify and establish link between Ecological sustainability/conservation/in NRM for sustainable livelihood in FATA.
4. Working with and managing external consultants in NRM related activities in FATA.
5. Reviews of PC 1 related to NRM sector and provide technical assistance to concerned line directorates of FATA Secretariat for making ecologically sustainable interventions.
6. To prepare periodic NRM reports in order to adhere to FATA requirements and information sharing with Team Leader IUCN and regular reporting to Chief Economist, FATA P&DD.
7. To document and report NRM related best practices in order to adhere to FATA NRM.
8. Any other relevant tasks as required and assigned by your line managers/supervisor(s).
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST).
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, helps the world find pragmatic solutions to our most pressing environment and development challenges.
IUCN works on biodiversity, energy, human livelihoods and greening the world economy by supporting scientific research, managing field projects all over the world, and bringing governments, NGOs, the UN and companies together to develop policy, laws and best practice.
IUCN is the world’s oldest and largest global environmental organization, with more than 1,200 government and NGO members and almost 11,000 volunteer experts in some 160 countries. IUCN’s work is supported by over 1,000 staff in 45 offices and hundreds of partners in public, NGO and private sectors around the world.
- Organization: IUCN - International Union for Conservation of Nature
- Location: Peshāwar
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- International Relations
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2016-11-29