Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED) and the direct supervision of the Director of the Regional Bureau for Education in Asia and the Pacific (UNESCO Office in Bangkok), the incumbent will be expected to lead and supervise the team of the Project Office, and manage the implementation of programme work. He/she advises and reports on regular and extra-budgetary programme design, guidelines, resources and progress. He/she advocates organizational involvement and participation in mainstream educational activities and may lead colleagues on particular thematic areas, as well as evaluate progress and performance. The incumbent works within the frameworks of UNESCO’s Medium Term Strategy (C/4), the Approved Programme and Budget (C/5) and global development plans, such as Goal 4 (Quality Education) of the 2030 Global Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Education 2030 Framework for Action. More particularly he/she will\:
Programme Design, Management and Assessment
- Conceptualize, design, plan, implement and monitor UNESCO’s Education activities and projects in Myanmar. Develop and implement a capacity development programme in education, appraise and analyse the education and training systems of the country, provide expert assistance to line Ministries and officials in the formulation of sound policy advice and strategies, and define education interventions at the country level.
- Represent the Director of the UNESCO Bangkok Office in UN Country Team (UNCT) meetings and participate in the development and implementation of UN strategic frameworks, such as the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), as well as other joint collaboration initiatives with development partners and stakeholders. Develop, review and monitor the implementation of the UNESCO Country Programming Document (UCPD) in coordination with the UNESCO Bangkok Office.
Networking, Communication, Knowledge Management and Partnerships
- Plan, develop and implement outreach and knowledge management strategies, aimed at expanding and communicating programmes, UNESCO projects and increasing visibility, resources and partnership.
- Prepare project proposals and cooperation frameworks with Member States and donor agencies in order to mobilize extra-budgetary resources in support of Education Sector-wide planning, education policy analysis and development, education (sub-)sector assessment and management at the national level, in line with country policy priorities and the Regional Education Support Strategy.
Team Member Management and Assessment and Evaluation
- Coordinate and supervise the team of the Project Office and ensure coherent work processes and outputs, including the identification of human and technical resource needs, recruitment and performance management and the evaluation of service providers and consultants.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of education, economics, development studies, social sciences, or in another related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant work experience in the field of education, of which at least 3 years acquired at the national and international level.
- Experience in development work in field duty stations.
- Proven experience in planning, implementing and managing programmes and/or projects in the field of education.
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- Excellent fund raising and resources mobilisation skills.
- Ability to plan strategically and to translate strategies into project proposals or actionable recommendations.
- Ability to participate effectively in high-level negotiations with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to lead, manage and motivate staff and teams and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Solid written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare and present findings concisely, as well as to discuss actionable recommendations on issues of a technical nature in education.
- Good knowledge of standard office software (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.).
- Excellent knowledge of English.
- Experience within a developing country in the management and implementation of education programmes.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the UN system.
- Knowledge of development issues.
- Good/Fair knowledge of French and/or Myanmar/Burmese language.
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: TH-Bangkok
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2017-07-22