Head of Communications, External Relations Dept
Vacancy Announcement - Re-advertisement
Title: Head of Communications, External Relations Dept.
Category: Professional Staff
Type of Contract: Fixed-Term, internationally recruited
Duty Station: Rome, Italy
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law. To learn more about IDLO, please visit our website www.idlo.int or follow us on Twitter @IDLO.
The Head of Communications will play a critical role in delivering IDLO’s Strategic Plan goals vis‐à‐vis enhancing the visibility of the organization, its brand, and establishing itself as a thought leader on the rule of law. With delegated authority and in conjunction with the Director of External Relations, the Head of Communications shall act as the guardian of the IDLO brand. The incumbent shall also deputize the Director of External Relations as necessary.
Under direct supervision of the Director, External Relations and working closely with members of the senior leadership team (SLT), the incumbent will be responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following duties and tasks:
- Lead and manage communications activities, including media relations, digital and publications, as well as working to raise the organization’s profile and highlighting its achievements through traditional and innovative approaches;
- Oversee the implementation and continuous optimization of the organizational communications strategy, enhancing the profile and reputation of IDLO with key audiences;
- Lead a team of communication professionals, serving as clearinghouse for communications content, and coordinating overall communication and related partnership activities;
- Uphold editorial integrity and act as editorial lead, commissioner-in-chief and approver of media materials, digital/multimedia content, e‐newsletters, leaflets, factsheets and reports, amongst others;
- Manage the work of the communications team, ensuring that it is delivered in a timely fashion and in accordance with best practice standards, while maintaining accountability and measurable results;
- Assess capacity across the team, supporting staff in areas of development and devising training/professional learning programs and equally dealing with performance management;
- Guide IDLO’s overall communications approach, including on digital platforms, ensuring quality, accuracy of messaging, functionality and storytelling appeal; building engagement with different target audiences, tracking trends and identifying effective approaches;
- Lead on institutional forward planning – internal and external ‐ as well as horizon scanning and risk management;
- Working closely with the Director, External Relations and other colleagues as relevant, deal with reputational risks and crises;
- Develop and implement a plan for communication governance and knowledge sharing, including production protocols, and other relevant policy and style guidelines;
- Working closely with the Director, UN Representatives, and colleagues in the Programs Department, co‐lead on conceptualization and implementation of IDLO strategic advocacy and programmatic events;
- In close collaboration with other members of the Department and the Resource Mobilization Unit, support the development of IDLO’s strategic partnership approach across external stakeholders;
- Undertake other duties as requested by the supervisor.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Work experience
- Post‐graduate degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related discipline is required;
- At least 8-10 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the area of communications, public engagement and media relations, preferably within a large governmental, intergovernmental or international organization is required;
- Experience of working with internationally dispersed and diverse teams of at least 5‐10 direct members of staff, plus with other teams across such organizations.
- Full professional competence of written and verbal communication skills in English is essential. Fluent French is essential and working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
Specific knowledge, skills and competencies
- Demonstrated experience of successfully advising large, international organizations on communications issues;
- Solid understanding of the global communications landscape;
- Proven track record of being an innovator in the area of communication/public engagement;
- Demonstrated ability to work proactively and independently, as well as in a team environment;
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team effectively; Ability to develop strong relationships with colleagues, including senior members of staff, and external stakeholders;
- Experience of workplace mediation and conflict resolution;
- Maintaining a thorough and up‐to‐date knowledge of world affairs;
- Knowledge of the dynamics of multilateral diplomacy and of the role of organizations within the international system.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work constructively with several internal and external stakeholders in multi-cultural settings;
- Good team player, positive attitude, flexible mind;
- Proficient in utilizing standard information and communications technology, including Microsoft Office and related software;
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Openness to change and able to work in a co-management structure;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity and commitment to IDLO's values and mandate;
- Ability and willingness to travel to the field, including post-conflict countries.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The annual salary level for this fixed-term professional staff, internationally recruited, position is in the range of € 68,000 to a level commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus additional benefits.
The compensation is net of tax for non-Italian /non-permanent Italian resident. IDLO offers competitive remuneration and benefit package: subsidized health insurance coverage including life insurance, medical and dental through CIGNA International to the staff member and eligible dependents. Entitlement to the IDLO Provident Fund where IDLO contributes 14% of the staff member’s base salary.
HOW TO APPLY
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply via our website www.idlo.int/jobs and submit the completed IDLO Personal History Form (PHF), resume and cover letter.
Candidates who applied previously, do not need to re-apply.
For this position, short listed candidates will be evaluated through a written assessment, followed by interviews.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the staff member assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline: December 18, 2016.
- Organization: IDLO - International Development Law Organization
- Location: Rome
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- External Relations
- Closing Date: 2016-12-18