Deputy Data Protection Officer - Brussels
Global thematic focus on HR, new technologies and policy matters - Resident position based in Brussels – 100%
Purpose of the position
Senior manager with responsibility for advising on/ensuring the application of the ICRC Rules on Personal Data Protection in the context of personal data processing by the ICRC in two Regions of ICRC operations (to be determined from Americas, Near and Middle East, Africa, and Asia), reporting to Data Protection Officer in Geneva. ICRC interface vis-à-vis data protection authorities in countries covered by the relevant Regions. Global thematic focus on HR, new technologies and policy matters.
In accordance with the Institutional priorities in the field of Data Protection and the ICRC Rules on Personal Data Protection and in close coordination with the Head of Data Protection Office in Geneva:
- Advise delegations belonging to two Regions of responsibility (to be determined from Americas, Near and Middle East, Africa, and Asia) on the effective implementation of the ICRC Rules on Personal Data Protection and the respect of ICRC Data Protection sectorial guidelines.
- In coordination with the Data Protection Officer at Headquarters ensure enforcement of the ICRC Rules on Personal Data Protection in all relevant delegations.
- Ensure, in close cooperation with the delegations concerned, a proper understanding and follow up of relevant national legislation in the field of Data Protection.
- Organize trainings on Data Protection for ICRC staff in the relevant delegations.
- Support the relevant delegations in carrying out Data Protection Impact Assessments.
- Represent the ICRC in relevant conferences/seminars on Data Protection.
Selection requirements and experience
- Master's degree in Law / International Law / Human Rights Law
- Prior experience as legal advisor / attorney (min. 5 years)
- Prior experience advising on and ensuring the application of data protection / privacy matters (min. 2 years)
- Knowledge of data protection laws, confirmed by Data Protection Officer certification
- Solid understanding of data protection implications of the use of new technologies
- Experience in the humanitarian sector and/or within a recognized international organization is an asset
- Admission to practice law is an asset
- Applicants should be employable in the E.U. as the ICRC will not facilitate these formalities
- Communicating and networking
- Analysis and summarizing
- Capacity to work in autonomy as well as strong team spirit
- Capacity to represent the ICRC
- Good command of English (French, and Spanish or Arabic would be an asset)
What we offer
- An opportunity to practice your profession in a humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Salary conditions based on the remuneration package of the ICRC Brussels Delegation
Starting date: 3 April 2017
If you are interested in applying for this post and have the necessary qualifications and experience, please send your application (CV and motivation letter) to Massimo Marelli (firstname.lastname@example.org), Head of Data Protection Office before 22 December 2016.
Shortlisted applicants will be notified by 5 January. Due to the expected high number of applications no confirmation of receipt will be provided, and non-shortlisted candidates will not be notified.
- Organization: ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: NO-A, National Professional Officer
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Human Rights
- Civil Society
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2017-02-15