Chief Field Operations, P-5 Baghdad Iraq
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
Purpose of the Position
The Chief of Field Operations is responsible for overseeing the delivery and monitoring of the Iraq Country Programme at the field office level through the provision of strategic guidance, oversight and coordination of programme interventions so as to ensure that the rights of children and women are upheld by duty bearers and rights holders in Iraq. Specifically the post is responsible for:
- Delivery and monitoring of the delivery plans that have emanated from the rolling work plans;
- Disaggregated delivery of UNICEFs results for children at governorate level;
- Development of UNICEF Iraq's emergency preparedness and response interventions, including through the clusters, and in close cooperation with the Deputy Representative and the Section Chiefs ensures that the all emergency and development programmes are integrated.
Summary of Key Functions/Accountabilities
- Participate in UNICEF Iraq's overall management by serving as a member of UNICEF Iraq's senior management team in the delivery of the Iraq Country Programme (2016 – 2019). This includes the effective participation in routinely scheduled senior management and country management teams; programme review meetings; and standing committees. It also includes the provision of inputs in the development of the rolling Annual Work Plans (AWPs) at federal level, and being accountable for the development and effective implementation of the delivery plans at field level.
- In close collaboration with the Deputy Representative, support the field offices in developing and monitoring their annual development plans out of the section rolling work plans and identify their disaggregated results from the national results for children.
- Provide overall guidance to the four Chief of Field Offices by overseeing planning, delivery and financial management at governorate level so as to deliver good quality, effective and value for money programmes compliant with UNICEF standards and annual work plan.
- Provide strategic programmatic and managerial leadership of UNICEF Field Offices, and together with the technical sections ensure that technical proficiency and that they are able to deliver the disaggregated results for children.
- Responsible for emergency response planning in the field (i.e. Field Offices EPRPs and/or Inter-Agency Contingency Planning Exercises) and for ensuring a timely and quality UNICEF response to natural and man-made emergencies through field offices and by supporting the coordination of different actors including through the implementation of the IASC Cluster Approach at field level as needed; Ensure the quality of UNICEF's emergency engagement by addressing field operations bottlenecks including staffing, resources and supplies and by ensuring that UNICEF and wider inter-agency policies and standards in emergencies are adhered to (i.e. UNICEF CCCs and IASC guidelines).
- Working closely with Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (PM&E), ensure the implementation of the ICO monitoring tools and that timely monitoring is undertaken for all programmes at Field Offices.
- Oversee the work of the cluster coordinators to ensure UNICEF delivers its cluster obligations effectively. Liaise closely with the HCT and OCHA to ensure that UNICEF and the Cluster Leads work in coordination with the rest of the humanitarian community and in the interest of the rights of children and women.
- Advocate for the rights of children and women and by developing and implementing relevant strategies with high level and senior government officials in governorates, with multi-lateral and bilateral agencies, NGOs, and national and international media.
Impact of Results
- Programme-related policies and strategies are formulated and put into effective and practical programmatic action on the ground at the field office level;
- Effective and efficient running of the field offices and their operations through regular participation in the work of the Iraq Country Office (ICO) Senior Management Team and sound recommendations on a wide range of matters relating to field office operations;
- Effective implementation of UNICEF's programme at the field level. Achievement of results for children in the country and enhanced reputation and credibility of UNICEF through strategic interaction with the government, implementing partners, donors and the international community.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Relations, Business Administration, Public Health, Education, or other fields related to the work of UNICEF.
*First university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
2. Work Experience
- At least ten years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels in both development and emergency settings on programme development and delivery with a focus on effective monitoring and financial management.
- Extensive experience of successful organizational and people management with a sound track record of good negotiations and financial management skills.
Fluency in English required and another UN working language an advantage. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
1. Core Values
- Diversity and inclusion
2. Core Competencies
- Communication (level 3)
- Working with People (level 3)
- Drive for Results (level 3)
3. Functional Competencies
- Leading and Supervising (level 3)
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- (level 3)
- Analyzing (level 3)
- Relating and Networking (level 3)
- Persuading ad Influencing (level 2)
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that Baghdad is a non-family duty station.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Baghdad
- Grade: P-5, International Professional - Senior level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-12-12