Cultural Mediator – Arabic – English/Greek - National Contract
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in 40 countries around the world.
DRC’s mandate is driven by three global strategic objectives within the DRC Assistance Framework: Saving lives and alleviation of immediate suffering among people affected by conflict, Safeguarding, restoration and development of livelihoods, and, Institutional and organisational change that contributes to protection of people’s rights and peaceful handling of conflict.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under the overall supervision of the Site Management Support (SMS) Officer, and in support of DRC field staff, the Cultural Mediators will provide translation and interpretation services, to ensure appropriate, correct, and smooth communication between the persons of concern and DRC staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide translation and interpretation for all DRC field staff, as required
- Contribute to maintaining and strengthening DRC’s relations with the site population
- Support the promotion of a participatory approach to site management and service provision in the sites
- Contribute to the continuous advocacy for increased communications with persons of concern throughout DRC units, duty bearers and other humanitarian actors
- Other tasks as required by the SMS Officer, to support DRC’s activities implementation
- University degree
- Excellent command of spoken and written Greek and/or English languages and Arabic language
- Minimum 1 year working experience; Previous experience working in the humanitarian sector is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Ability to work with large, multi-cultural groups in a changing environment
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values
- Excellent computer skills
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Experience in community services, youth activities, protection support and similar humanitarian programmes highly advantageous
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights
- Knowledge of the Syrian refugee crisis
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
All work related transport costs from duty station to other work sites are refundable.
All communication costs work related are refundable.
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Athens (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on 16th of December.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Athens
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2017-02-19