Consultancy for Regional Social Protection Advisor, Regional Office for CEE/CIS, Geneva (Consultancy)
Consultancy for Regional Social Protection Advisor based in Geneva, Switzerland, from Mid January to Mid August 2017 (8 months)
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Social Protection is one of the priority result areas for UNICEF in the CEE/CIS region. Guided by UNICEF's regional strategy on a child's right to social protection, UNICEF country programmes across the region support governments and partners to improve the performance, coverage and adequacy of social protection systems for children, facilitate the inclusion of excluded groups, enhance coordination within the system and integration of cash benefits and services to reach the most vulnerable. The Regional Office for CEE/CIS, under the Social Policy section, both supports and guides country programmes, and exercises technical oversight. In addition, the RO has a programme of knowledge management and partnership building on social protection. A temporary advisor is required to lead and coordinate this component of the programme while the substantive post is under recruitment.
Purpose of the Assignment
The objective of this assignment is to lead and coordinate the work of the RO on social protection for a period of eight months, ensuring adequate and appropriate support and guidance to UNICEF country offices, and providing technical oversight towards the achievement of results for children on social protection in the region.
Tasks and Deliverables
The consultant will have the following specific responsibilities:
- Coordination of the Regional strategy on a Child's Right to Social Protection In support of the Chair of the Steering Group for the strategy (RKLA8), coordinate the development, implementation, and reporting of activities under the Strategy, including managing Steering Group calls, preparation of progress reports for the Steering group and for the RMT, monitoring of country level progress, donor reporting
- Support knowledge management and capacity building activities under the regional strategy Lead RO knowledge management activities in the area of social protection, including supervision of contracts, production of outputs and publications, and knowledge generation activities. Support planned conferences on social protection at sub-regional and global level. Coordinate webinars, training, and knowledge sharing via teamsite and yammer. Compile a potential list of countries with good practices (global) suitable for horizontal / south south learning opportunities. Work with RO Communications staff to support publication of outputs.
- Oversight, technical and policy support to Regional office and country offices Provide technical inputs to briefing notes, technical reports, advocacy briefs and other products; attend RO technical meetings and provide technical guidance; provide technical and policy support and guidance to country offices in the field of social protection. Conduct country support missions as necessary.
- Contribute to partnerships and fundraising activities Participates in partnership dialogue and shapes technical content of joint work with partners on social protection, including the R-UNDG Working group on Social protection. Contributes to fundraising proposals and advocacy opportunities at regional and sub regional level
- Contribute to social protection activities in connection with Europe's Refugee and Migrant Crisis Where necessary, contribute to research, policy analysis, and if applicable, guidance to country offices / UNICEF programming on social protection in the context of the ongoing refugee and migrant crisis
- Contribution to the progress of social inclusion and social protection in the region Other tasks as may become necessary through the course of the assignment
The consultant will be supervised by Joanne Bosworth, Regional Social and Economic Policy Advisor. The work of the RKLA8 Steering group will be supervised by the Chair (currently the UNICEF Representative, Albania Country Office).
8 months from mid January to mid August 2017
This assignment will be office based and will be located in the CEE/CIS Regional Office in Geneva, Switzerland.
Qualifications and Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Advanced degree in economics/public policy with specialization or experience in social policy, analysis of social protection systems, public finance, social protection in humanitarian settings or other relevant field
- At least 8 years of experience in policy analysis, advocacy and technical assistance to governments and organizations, in the areas of social policy, social protection, social protection in humanitarian settings and other related policy areas
- Excellent written English language skills
- Advanced knowledge of social protection literature and policy debates
- Experience in communication, knowledge management and research
- Ability to synthesize complex information into key messages
- Excellent interpersonal skills and flexible attitude
- Ability to organize and plan own work, and work according to deadlines
- Knowledge and experience of research in social protection and humanitarian action in CEECIS countries an asset
- Familiarity with the work of the United Nations an asset
- Knowledge of other languages spoken in the CEECIS region an asset
Please indicate your ability, availability and monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Multiple locations
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Legal - International Law
- Closing Date: 2017-02-12