Chief Child Survival & Development, P-4, Asmara, Eritrea, #100487
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Representative, responsible for the development, design, planning, implementation and management of the Child Survival programme within the country programme.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Representative, the incumbent will be responsible for the overall management and administration in the development, design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Child Survival and development programme within the country programme. As head of the unit, the incumbent will be accountable for effective technical leadership, management guidance and programme support to facilitate the application and adaptation of UNICEF policies and strategies to achieve programme goals, including national and global goals.
Contributes to create synergy partnerships which reinforce other organizations – including other UN Agencies – SDGs strategic directions in areas where UNICEF has primary responsibility or comparative advantage such as interrelated areas of maternal, new-born, and child health and nutrition.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
- Formulates sectoral programme goals and objectives and develops strategies by sharpening programme focus, formulation and strategy. Supervises preparation of the sectoral inputs to the Country Programme Document (CPD) and related documents, such as the Country Programme Action Plan (CPAP) and Annual Work Plan (AWP) etc.
- Provides leadership, knowledge, guidance and direction for programme management and evaluation of the sectoral programme through periodic meetings, individually and in groups, with the various team members. In line with UNICEF CCC, leads and prepares the child survival component of the Emergency Preparedness & Response Plans ( EWEA, HAC etc)
- Responsible for the overall development and establishment of the work plan, monitoring compliance, and providing support and guidance to make sure objectives are met.
- Interacts with the government and other partners, NGO's, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of programme implementation, to follow up on the implementation of recommendations and agreements. Advocates for integrating child issues in national policies and strategies and contributes to leverage financial resources for children.
- In coordination and collaboration with other professional colleagues, establishes and develops effective information and reporting systems to monitor and evaluate the impact of the programme and achievement of targeted goals. Ensures the development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and social mobilization efforts.
- Monitors developments at the international, regional and provincial levels; develops methodologies and new approaches for improving programme effectiveness and managing for performance and efficiency. Participates in programme workshops and consultations at the regional and country levels to exchange knowledge, ideas, and approaches.
- Conducts field assessment visits for evaluating programme effectiveness, identifying problems and instituting remedial measures. Provides technical assistance and guidance to the Health, Nutrition and WASH Specialists in office.
- Monitors the overall planning and disbursement of programme funds for the child survival programme, ensuring they are properly administered, and utilized in accordance with the Plan of Action and the programme budget allotment.
- Prepares and submits timely progress/status reports for management, Board, donors, budget reviews, programme monitoring and evaluation, annual reports, etc.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in Civil/Sanitary Engineering or a related technical field*.
- Eight years progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels in programme planning, management, monitoring, and evaluation, in a related field.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal) required. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station or another UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication - Level III
- Working with People - Level III
- Drive for Results - Level III
- Formulating strategies and concepts - Level II
- Analyzing - Level III
- Leading and Supervising - Level III
- Relating and Networking - Level II
- Deciding and initiating Action - Level II
- Persuading and Influencing - Level II
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Asmara (Eritrea)
- Grade: P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Social Affairs
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Closing Date: 2017-01-10