Project Manager & Value Chain Specialist (16-99)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 16-99 PMVCS/IRS/SSA
Project Manager & Value Chain Specialist The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Project Manager and Value Chain Specialist for a new 4-year integrated Agriculture-Nutrition-Marketing Project focused on orange-fleshed sweetpotato in selecteddistricts(“woredas”)intheSouthernNations,Nationalities,andPeople’sRegionofEthiopia. The position requires good leadership and management skills, experience in implementing an agricultural value chain, and the ability to work in a challenging environment.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. The CIP Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) main regional office is in Nairobi, Kenya. CIP also has offices in eight otherAfrican countries.
The position: The Project Manager and Value Chain specialist is to be based in Awassa, Ethiopia and will report to the CIP Country Manager in Addis Ababa and the CIP Program Leader for sweetpotato. Duties and Accountabilities:
• Provideoverallleadershipandmanagementoftheproject,beingresponsibleforworkplandesign andimplementation,coordinationofseveralpartnerorganizations,andtimelydatacollectionand report writing.
• Lead in the development of the sweetpotato value chain strategy and its implementation. • Ensure that the project meets its targets and deliverable on-time and within budget. • Supervise key project staff and ensure accountability to the International Potato Center policies and donor rules and regulations.
• Serve as the primary program representative for CIPat the provincial level. Selection Criteria:
• Ph.D. degree in an agricultural economics, marketing, agronomy or other relevant degree for successful work in a rural setting with at least 2years working experience on a medium to large- scale project. Specific training related to a vegetatively propagated crop is an added advantage. • Extensive experience in managing a technology dissemination project expected. • Experience in developing agricultural markets and value chains required.
• Up-to-date understanding of food-based approaches to improving nutrition, including main outcome and impact indicators, is expected. • Experience in overseeing or contributing to rigorous M&E and timely reporting in a multi- institutional project
• Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate international and local staff into a cohesive team.
• Demonstrated awareness and responsiveness to gender and social issues in cross-cultural and
gender integration programming.
• Strong experience with communication technologies as research and development tools.
• Excellentwritten andverbal communication skills inEnglish are required. Working knowledgeof
Amharic preferred, or willingness to learn Amharicrequired.
• Record of publications and citations.
• Willingness to travel frequently and work under field conditions.
Conditions: The employment contract will be for a three-year term with a four-month probation period
and the possibility of renewal. The salary will be internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and
commensurate with experience.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a cover letter, a full C.V with the names and contact
work experience. Screening of applications will begin on January 13 , 2016 and will continue until the
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site athttp://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries
are particularly encouraged to apply
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Awassa (Ethiopia)
- Grade: NO-C, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Mid level
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Supply Chain
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-02-06