International Consultancy- Gender and Statistics Expert (International) UNFPA-Pakistan Country Office
International Consultancy Announcement
Gender and Statistics Expert (International), UNFPA-Pakistan Country Office
Post Title: International Gender Specialist
(Generating Data to Advance Women’s Social and Economic Wellbeing of Women in Pakistan)
Type of Contract: Consultancy
Duration: Three months initially
Deadline for applications: 10 January 2017
Duty Station: Islamabad, with some travel to Lahore, Pakistan
Introduction to assignment:
In Pakistan, large gaps continue to exist between men and women in health, education, politics, and economic participation. Factors contributing to high inequalities for women include restricted mobility, lack of education, and little awareness of rights, lack of access to and ownership of resources and assets, gender-based violence, and limited access to social services.
UNFPA is currently working with the Punjab Commission on the Status Women to initiate the implementation of a large project on “Generating Data to Advance Women’s Social and Economic Wellbeing of Women in Pakistan”. The project intends to conduct studies and surveys on the social and economic wellbeing of women in the province and to support setting systems and benchmarks for generating data on gender-related SDG indicators.
Objectives of the Consultancy
The Gender Specialist will be located in the UNFPA Pakistan Country Office. Under the direct supervision of the UNFPA Deputy Representative, the Gender Specialist will be specifically responsible for providing technical and programmatic advisory services and capacity building to the Punjab project, through the Project Management Unit (PMU) of the Punjab PCSW.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Provides technical and programme advisory services to the PMU of Punjab Commission on the Status of Women at the start-up phase of the project on policies, strategies and practical ways to effectively implement the DFID supported project on the social and economic wellbeing of women; address equality issues, gender based violence, and advancing gender responsive programming.
• Support the PMU team to expedite the planning phase of the survey in collaboration with BoS and international gender and statistics expert.
• Actively contribute to the review of SDG indicators and identification of gaps with regards to SDG 5 and 8. Contribute to the process of development of indicators addressing the gender gap.
• Identify inter-linkages of gender with the various SDGs by undertaking an analysis of the targets, study examples from various regional interventions which have successfully integrated gender in the pursuit of other areas of sustainable development such as RH, ASRH, and Humanitarian.
• Engage with the SDG indicators prioritization process and ensure inclusion of gender indicators in the areas of concern for UNFPA so as to support the achievement of relevant targets.
• Support PMU in finalizing the monitoring framework for the DFID project and train the PMU to report against the same.
• Utilize the data available with PCSW GMIS and Helpline for analysis and policy brief’s useful for PCSW regular use in policy design and implementation.
• Represent UNFPA in the Technical Advisory Group of the project and advise Senior Management in the Steering Committee.
• Prepare donor reports, project documents and concept notes on Gender and GBV CPD Component.
• Perform other tasks as may be assigned.
- Values: Exemplifying integrity, demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system, embracing diversity and embracing change
- Core Competencies: Achieving results, being accountable, developing and applying professional expertise. Thinking analytically and strategically, working in teams and managing self and relationships
- Managerial competencies: Creating a culture of performance, making decisions and exercising judgement.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Gender, social anthropology, law and women’s rights, sociology, gender, cultural studies, or other field directly related to the substantive area identified in the title of the post.
A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Knowledge and Experience
• At least 7 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the managing gender and gender-based violence programs in development or humanitarian settings, of which five years at the international level;
• Understanding of gender and human rights and women’s human rights is essential
• Broad experience in gender analysis, policy and programming is essential
• Experience in culturally sensitive programming is essential
• Experience in advising and supporting initiatives to promote gender equality and eliminate GBV, essential
• Demonstrated expertise in the substantive area of work; and programme/project planning design, follow up, monitoring and evaluation.;
• Strong track record of technical leadership, and proven ability to produce demonstrable results;
• Strong verbal and written communications skills in English
• Demonstrated ability to network within the academic and development community;
• Demonstrated expertise in policy dialogue is desirable
• Familiarity with management and monitoring tools is desirable;
• Familiarity with ICT/ERP is an asset;
• Field experience is strongly desirable
• Knowledge of the UN, and experience in multi-sectoral initiatives and coordination is an asset
Fluency in English is required; working knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
- This post is ONLY open to International Experts.
- The post is offered for three months initially.
- UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
- UNFPA is committed to maintain balanced gender distribution of the positions and therefore encourage women to apply.
Applicants with the required qualifications and experience should submit a written letter of application, a brief write up the interpretation of the TOR and the methodology that /she intends to use to carry of all aspects of this consultancy, a copy of curriculum vitae (CV), completed UN P11 form.
Applications should be addressed to the email [email protected] only.