Gender Officer-1 Vacancy based in Moroto (Open to Ugandan Nationals Only)
Mercy Corps has been operating in Uganda since 2006 and works to catalyze change makers within the Ugandan private sector, civil society and government to create economically dynamic, healthy and secure communities. Our works focus on building resilience and enabling economic growth, improving opportunities to attain better health and nutrition, and improving governance and conflict management. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim, Kotido, Moroto, Napak, Nakapiripirit and Amudat with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, Nike Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
BRACED Mercy Corps is a consortium led by Mercy Corps that includes TANGO Intl, Makerere University, University of Nairobi and Wajir South Development Association (WASDA). BRACED Mercy Corps is being implemented in northern Uganda (Karamoja) as well as northern Kenya (Wajir County). The BRACED Mercy Corps programme is designed around three integrated thematic focus areas - Natural Resource Management and Lands, Market Systems Development and Governance and Gender Mainstreaming.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Gender Officer’s role focuses on the direct implementation of activities in target communities. Activities center on village level groups in which Gender Officers will mobilize, manage and ensure quality of activities. The Gender Officer will be responsible for activities related to male-only platforms, boys and girls safe space group formation and monitoring, education/advocacy of women groups, community education and barazas and gender research activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Work with Team Leaders to develop detailed quarterly, monthly and weekly workplans
· Complete required paperwork in order to execute activities on time and of high quality, including development of concept notes on specific activities with associated timeline and budget
· Monitor community based groups – Kitogogong Eres – working across the Markets, NRM, Lands and Governance teams to ensure activities compliment and build upon each other
· 75%+ travel to the field including Napak and Moroto Districts
· Maintain positive working relationships with District and Sub County level Gender Officers, coordinators of women’s networks, and other stakeholders, representing Mercy Corps in coordination meetings and solicitating participation in select activities
· Ensure close coordination and sharing of information with District Officials, NGOs and local authorities as appropriate and advised by Team Leader and Program Manager
· Make recommendations for incorporating a gender perspective into sectoral work
· Communicate the organization’s commitment to gender equity, and the rationale for it, to staff and stakeholders.
· Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
· Preferably Bachelor in gender and development, women’s studies, masculinity studies, sociology, law or a related field
· 3+ years of professional experience in the field of gender and development
· Familiarity with tools of gender mainstreaming, including gender analysis
· First-hand knowledge of gender dynamics in Karamoja is a must, as well as a basic understanding of the gender legal and policy framework in Uganda
· Demonstrated commitment to women’s rights, human rights and social justicd
· Knowledge and experience in GBV prevention and response
· Proven skills in networking, collaboration, education, community consultations and organizational development
· Ability to ride a motorcycle and in possession of a valid driving/riding license
· A strong team player with good communication and diplomatic skills
· Very good analytical and information management skills
· Good organizational skills and ability to work under/manager stress
· Flexible and creative in planning and problem solving
· Attention to detail, ability to follow procedures and meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members
· Skill in maintaining professional internal and external relationships
· Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information both for the staff and the organization
Applications: Submit your application through email to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Mercy Corps Uganda. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates. Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Friday, 13th January, 2017. Subject of email should include the position you are applying for**.** Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.