Area Manager - South Sudan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been operational in South Sudan since 2004 providing assistance to IDPs and returnees and host communities in areas affected by displacement. NRC currently operates an integrated programme focused on six sectors (core competencies): Education, Shelter, Food Security, WASH, Camp Coordination/Camp Management (CCCM) and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC programmes are designed to provide protection and durable solutions for IDPs, refugees and returnees. In South Sudan NRC focuses both on emergency humanitarian responses and early recovery work.
The purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
This same advert may be used to deployment to other Country offices other than one initial published for.
- Generic responsibilities:
- Line management for senior project staff and support functions (and Field Office Coordinators) in the area
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide area specific input on CC strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings at area level
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
- Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and CC strategies
- Represent NRC and networking on area level
- Ensure that capacity building is provided to all staff in the area
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Specific responsibilities:
- Responsible to develop the NRC program and plan of actions, project design and management for the Area.
- Develop a robust setup including flexibility for emergency response in the area.
- Supervise field offices and their implementation of the various projects.
- Coordinate NRC’s operational and programmatic activities the geographical area.
- Ensure the implementation of all activities related to the projects within designated timeframes.
- Strengthen NRC’s effective presence among humanitarian stakeholders in general and cluster mechanism in particular.
- Ensure optimal use of financial resources in the program, including project budget adherence and initiating revisions or changes to projects including budgets in due time.
- With the direct support of the Finance Manager, ensure that NRC’s finance procedures, guidelines and systems are properly implemented and are respected.
- In liaison with the Head of Program and team ensure that systems for monitoring and evaluating project activities are developed and implemented.
- Ensure that the preparation of required reports for the Head of Program, Finance Manager and Country Director, donors and authorities are drafted with sufficient quality.
- Manage and prepare the support budget as a portion of all project budgets and oversee monitoring of cash flows and expenditures.
- Oversee and coordinate administrative and logistical requests made by the projects for optimal cost efficiency and utilization of resources.
- Ensure ongoing check and review mechanism in place for the control and stock system of goods, vehicles and transport coordination and make any necessary improvements.
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Senior Project Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Administration / Organisation / Management
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Managing resources to optimise results
- Commencement: Feb, 2017
- Contract period: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Alek, Gogrial State (previous Warrap State)
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Sudan
- Grade: Mid level
- Emergency Aid
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-01-22