Development Manager, Leadership
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
The Development Manager, as part of the New Business Development Unit, works closely with IREX’s Strategy and Development Group and in partnership with the IREX Global Practices to design and develop initiatives that advance the impact goal of cultivating leaders. S/he is responsible for spearheading the efforts of the New Business Development Unit to ensure that IREX is fully prepared to respond to trends, opportunities, or market shifts in the area of leadership development. The Development Manager is also responsible for cultivating and maintaining relationships with key influencers in the relevant donor community. S/he is also responsible for systematizing IREX’s thought leadership products and its organizational experience in cultivating leaders and help shape them in alignment with cutting edge developments in the leadership development industry in close cooperation with the Leadership Practice. S/he will spearhead the process of developing proposals, concepts for funding, or other outreach documents for donors.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Develop and refine relationship maps with key influencers in the relevant donor community.
- Strengthen IREX’s visibility with relevant donors.
- Conduct market analyses, industry scans, and donor assessments.
- Help conceptualize and refine IREX’s approach to cultivating leaders in response to trends and partner needs.
- Develop partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations.
- Research and analyze new business opportunities: solicitations, forecasts, and market intelligence.
- Work closely with the Strategic Communications Unit to prepare communications, positioning, and outreach activities related to business development priorities in the area of leadership development.
- Write winning proposals: Serve as lead technical writer on a variety of bids, from large multi-million dollar U.S. government bids to small concept notes for private funders in the areas of leadership development, education and youth.
- Lead proposal efforts: Manage full proposal teams, lead design processes, coach contributing staff in high-quality writing, costing, recruiting and overall proposal development work
- Manage new business processes: track varied opportunities; create and coordinate proposal teams, network with partners and technical experts, maintain internal production deadlines, oversee submissions
- Manage recruitment efforts for program personnel and lead technical interview process for top candidates.
- Conduct international field assessment missions.
- Identify, hire and liaise with consultants on specific new business projects.
- Accurately track and monitor all relevant data and documents. Serve as a champion of the Leadership Practice in the New Business Development Unit.
- Serve as a Champion for the Leadership Practice in the New Business Development Unit.
- Contribute to organizational learning on leadership development donor priorities and focus areas
- Manage development and implementation of new donor engagement opportunities including leadership circles, conferences, and other convenings
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in international development.
- Must have at least three years of successful experience working on business development (proposal design and writing) for U.S. State Department, USAID, United Nations, or major foundations.
- Exceptional, demonstrated writing skills. Proven capacity as a strong, persuasive, proposal writer who can write major proposal with minimal oversight and management.
- Technical acumen in the field of leadership development. Preference for individuals who also have background in education or youth.
- Demonstrated presentation, stakeholder engagement, and public speaking skills.
- Experience in international development, including project design, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation, and/or management
- Excellent analytical skills; ability to weigh and synthesize inputs from a variety of sources.
- Powerful organizational skills; ability to manage teams effectively
- International experience in Africa or the Middle East.
- Master’s degree or higher in relevant field preferred.
Go to https://www.irex.org/careers?p=job%2FoKjm4fwd and apply through our website. Please supply a resume and a cover letter with your application.
- Organization: IREX
- Location: Ankara
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Operations and Administrations
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Closing Date: 2017-03-15