Logistics Officer (364 days) Temporary Appointment- NOB
Under general guidance and supervision of the Supply and Logistics Specialist, the incumbent administers the Logistics Operations of complex nature and impact under an emergency setup requiring strong professional technical expertise in support of operations and Programme objectives. Responsible for effective planning, distribution and inventory management of UNICEF’s supplies, in support of the Country Programmes and Operations. The incumbent will also contribute to collaboration with all other UN agencies to accelerate implementation of the harmonized Business practices for logistics initiatives in line with Reform/coherence
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under general guidance and supervision of the Supply and Logistics Specialist, the incumbent administers the Logistics Operations of complex nature and impact under an emergency setup requiring strong professional technical expertise in support of operations and Programme objectives. Responsible for effective planning, distribution and inventory management of UNICEF's supplies, in support of the Country Programmes and Operations.
The incumbent will also contribute to collaboration with all other UN agencies to accelerate implementation of the harmonized Business practices for logistics initiatives in line with Reform/coherence
Key Expected Results
- Provide rapid and relevant assistance and support to evolving Logistics needs and situations facing children and families, including emergency situations, with a priority on achieving value for money
- Implement sound, accurate logistics management systems, procedures and documentation as well as regular, accurate reporting to maintain the highest level of integrity, standards and accountability
- Support UNICEF as well as Government capacity-building in order to enhance efficient, effective and timely supply delivery
- Conduct and monitor effective Logistics, local, regional and/or offshore, with a goal to attain lowest cost without sacrificing quality as applicable.
- Collaboration and Partnership
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
1.Provide rapid and relevant assistance and support to evolving Logistics needs and situations facing children and families, including emergency situations, with a priority on achieving value for money.
- Support logistics planning through coordination with Operations/Programme Sections. Provides technical support in preparation of appropriate documents, and input on specifications and logistics arrangements, facilitating cost-effective efficient logistics - clearance, storage and distribution of supplies and equipment to project sites, in support of the country programme implementation.
- Assist in the Country Programme strategy planning review to recommend on logistics requirements and to provide support in the preparation of Plan of Operations and Plans of Action. Assist in the implementation of logistics component of the Country Programme, including systems for storage and distribution of supplies to all project sites.
2. Implement sound, accurate logistics management systems, procedures and documentation as well as regular, accurate reporting to maintain the highest level of integrity, standards and accountability
- Maintain effective working relations and contact with the Supply Division, Copenhagen, to confer on shipping policies and procedures. Advise the country office on policies and procedures impacting on offshore and local procurement and delivery. Maintain link with Copenhagen on transnational shipments, deliveries, claims and appropriateness of supplies.
- Establish and maintain a system of contact with customs and port/airport authorities at national ports of entry on the clearance of UNICEF supplies, in keeping with established protocol. Contribute to the negotiation of standby agreements with relevant private business companies for the country offices effective local distribution of supplies as well as for fielding of logistics assistance to projects sites/End users.
- Supervise the staff in preparation of appropriate documentation: Release orders, Way bills. Gift certificates, etc.
- Participate in the preparation/compilation of the status reports required for donor reports, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, appeals, etc.
- Regularly develop and communicate accurate inventory tracking, inventory aging and incoming supplies information
3. Support UNICEF as well as Government capacity-building in order to enhance efficient, effective and timely supply delivery
- Plan, design and conduct training for UNICEF's staff/consultants and counterparts in Logistics management, customs clearance, distribution and inventory of supplies and equipment in order to improve supply delivery.
- Assists in the identification of training needs and plan training activities in Logistics administration for UNICEF's staff/consultants and counterparts, to improve supply delivery.
4. Conduct and monitor effective Logistics, local, regional and/or offshore, with a goal to attain lowest cost without sacrificing quality as applicable.
- Undertake field visits to project sites and monitor inventory and supply inputs. Proposes corrective actions to improve logistical procedures.
- Monitor progress of offshore and/or regional shipments through regular contacts with the Action Office(s).
- Communicate and report quality issues with respect to supplies and/or service agreements
5. Collaboration and Partnership
- Coordinate with the Programme Section on supply planning, providing technical support on logistical support required for supplies as well as providing advice on distribution plans in the development of the supply component of the Country Programme.
- Provide advice to the Country Office, Government and implementing partners on offshore and/or local logistics policies and procedures, delivery and utilization of UNICEF supplies and equipment; coordinate with the Supply Division, Copenhagen, on supply policy and/or activities.
- Team with the Programme Section and other members of the Operations Section to facilitate efficient customs clearance, storage and distribution of supplies and equipment.
- Maintain partnership and collaborative relations with UNICEF, Government, UN, and bilateral counterparts in logistics activities, including distribution, and monitoring supply inputs and inventory.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Bachelor Degree in Business Administration, Management, International Economics, Engineering, International Development, Contract/commercial Law or in directly related areas of specialization, including credited courses in supply, logistics, purchasing or contracting, or, a recognized qualification in procurement and contracting.
Educational qualification in relevant areas (transport or logistics operations/management, supply change management, etc.) is an added advantage.
- 2 years of relevant professional work experience in supply, logistics, contracting and administration and/or other related fields.
- Work experience in emergency duty station is an advantage.
- Familiarity with UNICEF, UN or INGO is an asset.
Fluency in English and Arabic
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication (I)
- Working with People(I)
- Drive for Results(I)
- Applying Technical Expertise [I]
- Following Instructions and Procedures [II]
- Planning and Organizing [II]
- Knowledge of managing inventory, transport, and diverse logistics operations (e.g., programme supply & logistics) in the international environment
- Knowledge of logistics policies, goals, strategies, and approaches
- Knowledge of warehousing principles and processes
- UNICEF strategic framework for partnerships and collaborative relationships
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
- UNICEF Supply Function goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies. (E.g., SUPDIRs, PROs, Executive Directives, )
- Rules and regulations of supply and programme manuals and instructions. (E.g., Supply Field Manual, Programme, Policy and Procedures Manual)
- Financial circulars and rules, regulations and manual.
- Administrative and Human Resources Rules and Manuals.
- Information and Communication Technology administration
- UNICEF emergency programme and operations policies, strategies, procedures and approaches.
- Rights-based and Results-based management and programming approach in UNICEF.
- Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP); Country Programme Management Plan (CPMP)
- International Code of Conduct
- UN and UNICEF policies and approaches on supply issues involved in harmonization of operations in the common system..
- UN and UNICEF security operations and guidelines.
- Government regulations and laws in the locality (e.g., customs clearance, VAT and other taxation systems).
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Amman (Jordan)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Supply Chain and Service delivery
- Supply Chain and Service delivery
- Closing Date: 2017-02-16
St. John's (Antigua and Barbuda)
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position
leogane | Port-au-Prince
North Lebanon Area | Syria (Lebanon)
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position