FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Project Director
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Project Director/Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID funded Burundi’s PEPFAR Program Planning which will focus on supporting the Government of Burundi with HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment services. The (COP) will provide strategic and operational leadership to develop and implement a successful and integrated multi-sectorial program that builds upon existing USAID and Government of Burundi investments and that will achieve lasting outcomes. The COP will ensure adherence to overall technical and programmatic quality in implementation, compliance with USAID rules and regulations, and the timely submission of all deliverables to USAID, including annual work plans, performance monitoring plans, semi-annual reports and annual reports as required. The COP will be responsible for the overall direction and coordination of the activities of any sub-recipient partners under this cooperative agreement. The COP will be the primary liaison with USAID and will manage project staff and implementing partners to ensure proper reporting, financial management, and compliance. The COP is expected to coordinate with government and other stakeholders to ensure that activities complement ongoing initiatives and adhere to country and global standards.
The position will be based in Burundi. Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project and the selection of the final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects of program implementation and management; stakeholder coordination with USAID and Government of Burundi counterparts and implementing partners; and ensure overall project quality, results, and compliance
- Provide strategic leadership to the design and implementation of Burundi’s PEPFAR Program Planning activities and oversees program planning, monitoring, reporting and evaluation
- Ensure optimal use of human, financial, and physical resources to successfully meet project milestones, objectives, deliverables and targets
- Provide leadership and management to ensure that all projects activities are executed in line with and meet the technical standards and expectations of FHI 360 and its donors and supporters. Ensure timely, high-quality and complete submission of work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and any other reports required by USAID.
- Oversee and coordinate the successful completion of planning and budgeting requirements of the project
- Ensure mechanisms are in place to monitor the implementation of projects, including progress toward achieving objectives and targets with high-quality and on-time performance
- Provide effective oversight to all financial and administrative functions undertaken by the program to ensure efficient and effective administrative support
- Ensure that all activities are undertaken in full compliance with FHI 360 standard operating procedures, donor policies and regulations, and national policies and laws
- Develop and maintain highly collaborative working relationships with representatives from the Government of Burundi and other implementing and collaborating partners
- Ensure documentation and dissemination of findings, impact, innovations, and lessons learned
- Oversee strategies and interventions to ensure excellence and accountability to beneficiaries and USAID
- Represent project both internally and externally to other donors, stakeholders, implementing partners and government counterparts
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, linkages to other programs, capacity building of project staff, and institutional strengthening of implementing partners and community-based organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree or its international equivalent in international development, public health or related field with minimum 10 years of manging complex public health programs in Burundi or elsewhere in Africa.
- At least 10 years of demonstrated technical experience as a senior staff in at least two of these areas: HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment, health systems strengthening, quality improvement/quality assurance, M&E and operations research.
- Experience managing US government funded projects with sub awards to local partners highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, lead teams, make high-level decisions, and navigate politically-sensitive terrain.
- Management experience with a USG cooperative agreements and/or contracts preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies.
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in French and English language.
- Relevant computer software skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Organization: FHI 360
- Location: Bujumbura
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Public Policy and Administration
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Project and Programme Management
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2017-02-17