The UNESCO Staff and Savings and Loan Service (USLS) is an integral part of UNESCO which operates in accordance with the financial rules of the Organization under the authority of the Director General. The main activities of the Loan Unit is to provide consultations/simulations on the mortgage and ordinary loans to members, administer repayment of outstanding loans, follow up on loan reference interest rates and maintain loan activities related to Statistics.
Under the overall authority of the Chief Financial Officer and the direct supervision of the General Manager, in compliance with the guidelines and decisions of the Board of Management, the incumbent will be responsible for the following main tasks\:
- Advise USLS members with regard to mortgage and ordinary loans available.
- Represent UNESCO, by delegation, to the Notary for Mortgage loan contracts. Maintain an up-to-date working knowledge of developments in the legislation of the Host country governing mortgage loans. Represent USLS in other related duties such as first signatory on payments, witnessing deeds of power of attorney, drafting reports, circulars and other correspondence.
- Supervise the Loan unit, the working procedures and strengthen internal controls within the Unit; maintain and update information on the general conditions of loans and procedures.
- Organize the Credit Committee and supervise the preparation of the documents to be submitted to the committee.
- Grant mortgage or ordinary loans within the limits set by the delegation of authority.
- Conduct regular surveys of interest rates charged by external financial institutions for ordinary and mortgage loans for the purpose of advising the Credit Committee and General Manager on the necessity of changes/adjustments of USLS rates.
- Monitor the Loans Unit activities and income with related statistics and dashboard; participate in all working groups related to loans activities and organize briefing meetings, regular communication and marketing activities. Monitor recovery of outstanding loans, ensure all follow-up action required and make proposals to the Credit Committee and the General Manager on further actions to be undertaken.
- Act as focal point for IT changes related to the loans modules in the USLS system and website. Maintain and update the loan related information, provided on the USLS website, and participate in the loans related activities development on the website;
- Supervise the organization of the General Assembly, the elections and the preparation of the published documents. Draft minutes of the General Assembly and "Information Note".
- Represent USLS in other duties \: signatory on payments,make foreign exchange transactions for members’ savings accounts, witness deeds of power of attorney, drafting circulars, reports and other correspondence.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent degree) in Finance, Accounting or Management. A first-level university degree in finance, accounting or management, in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience in the area of banking, corporate/personal loan, and accounting or in other related fields, of which 2 years of acquired at international level.
- Demonstrated organizational and coordination skills with ability to take initiative, establish plans and priorities and implement them effectively in the monitoring of the Loan Unit activities.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with ability to identify problems and weaknesses in process and to propose solutions and/or improvements.
- Ability to comply with rules, regulations and administrative guidelines governing general loan conditions and to implement them effectively.
- Ability to manage efficiently and work in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to deal effectively with the Unit staff and clients, to identify clients needs and suggest appropriate solutions.
- Ability to manage heavy workload, to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines, paying close attention to details and quality of work.
- Solid numerical capabilities with ability to calculate figures and amounts such as interest rates, including the ability to work simultaneously with several currencies and to realise accurate currency conversions.
- Very good IT skills including knowledge of standard office software (such as Excel including functions, Word, Powerpoint and Outlook), with capacity to update web sites.
- Good knowledge of bank payment systems. Good knowledge of accounting posting for simple financial transactions (eg. creation of loan, loan installment with constant amortization, loan repayment).
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good working knowledge of the other language.
- Experience in an international organization/institution or in the United Nations system.
- Experience in managing a small team.
- Knowledge of UNESCO’s policy and practices in particular UNESCO Staff Savings and Loan Service, including USLS/SEPU rules and regulations and general conditions for granting loans.
- Ability to make loan simulations, calculations and numerical reports in Excel.
- Good knowledge of another working language of the United Nations (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and/or Spanish).
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Paris
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Finance and Banking
- Closing Date: 2017-02-18