Contract Specialist, P3, Lilongwe, Malawi
The incumbent will lead and support planning, development and execution of an effective and efficient contracting for programme and operational activities for the Country Office in compliance with UNICEF procurement and contract processes; and rules and regulations.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
The goal of the UNICEF country programme is to support the Government in the progressive and equitable realization of the rights of children and women, with a focus on their survival, development, protection and participation.
In the delivery of results for women and children, UNICEF Malawi is engaged in a variety of contracting activities including long term agreements (LTAs) for services (printing, car hire, t-shirts, banners, office supplies, programme supplies etc) and individual contracts for construction, quantity surveying, renovation and borehole drilling across all programme areas.
Under the general supervision and direction of Supply and Procurement Specialist and overall guidance of Chief of Operations Manager, the Contracts Specialist will lead and support planning, development and execution of an effective and efficient contracting for programme and operational activities for the Country Office in compliance with UNICEF procurement and contract processes; and rules and regulations.
Purpose of the Position
Lead the implementation, management, processes and execution of contracting activities for the Country Office including development of tender/Invitation to Bid (ITB) documents and issuance; tabulations and evaluation and review processes leading to conclusion of efficient and cost effective contract awards.
Manage activities for market survey for potential services providers from commercial sectors and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), assessment of capacities and build up data base.
Maintain strong relationships with all relevant service providers to enable UNICEF to maximize value of delivered services and facilities.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
- Effectively manage contracts, i.e. processing of specifications; attend bid openings and post bid evaluation meetings; review of bid documents including analyses of Bills of Quantities (BOQ), technical and financial proposals; compile and analyze submitted bid data; provide technical advice on management of contractual rights and obligations and maintains historical data and information. 2.
- Compile and manage Invitation to Bids (ITBs), Request for Quotations (RFQs) and Request for Proposal (RFPs) to pre-qualified service providers and/or through open bidding processes, material specifications and offers to ensure completeness and appropriateness.
- Provide technical advice to Contract Review Committee (CRC) for award of contracts and defend such submissions.
- Prepare contract documents that ensure completeness, appropriateness and that protect best interest of the organization by ensuring proper contracting processes and fulfillment in accordance with organizational policies, legal requirements, and customer specifications. Monitors production and assembly of the final contract package for each service provider in compliance with the UNICEF Financial Rules and Regulations, Supply Manual and other applicable and sound procurement contract procedures.
- Prepare contracts and Long Term Agreements in VISION for approved service providers and manage contractual activities up to the stage of delivery stage as per contractual terms and conditions.
- Act as focal point for maintaining regular updates and reporting of statistical reports relating to contract services and Long Term Agreement (LTA) consumption.
- Interact and follow up with programme and operations sections on issues related to contractual management and timely delivery of goods and services including KPI achievement, and evaluate service providers with respect to delivery performance, products, programme/commercial acceptability. Identify opportunities, barriers, successes, problems and courses of actions to address identified challenges.
- Provide technical advice/guidance to programme and operations staff on contractual management.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in Business Administration, Management, International Economics, Contract/commercial law or specialization directly related to the functional areas including accredited courses or proven experience in supply, purchasing or contracting.
- Five years of progressively and relevant professional experience at national/international level, in supply, procurement and contracting negotiations and administration combined with broader economic knowledge. Experience in commercial activities, constructions projects with the public or private sector in developing and/or industrialized countries, is an added advantage.
- Fluency in English (verbal and written) required.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Lilongwe
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Mid level
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: 2017-05-26