Vice President, Marketing and Communications
**** Please include a cover letter with resume/CV
PROGRAM/ DEPARTMENT SUMMARY:
Resource Development (RD) department works in three main areas: 1) fundraising: raising private funds and cultivating and maintaining relationships with private donors and corporate partners; 2) marketing: effectively bringing the organization's brand to life in an effort to elevate our profile to advance strategic goals 3) engage the public in global issues that matter to Mercy Corps through public outreach and education through the Mercy Corps Action Center.
The RD team includes several dozen dynamic professionals who possess a wide range of skills. We are database managers, web developers, marketers and public relations experts. We are donor services professionals, designers, photographers and teachers. Most of all, we are passionate about Mercy Corps' mission and dedicated to advancing the goals of our worldwide team who are powered by a belief a better world is possible.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Vice President, Marketing and Communications is a recognized global marketing leader who guides the day-to-day operations of a fast moving team with the goal of advancing mission, marketing and fundraising goals. She/he unites the marketing team behind this common purpose and ensures cross-functional coordination within the team and beyond. The VP manages the team's approach to marketing, brand stewardship, communications and public engagement. S/He will raise our profile and drive the teams to share purposeful and engaging stories that bring the Mercy Corps brand to life in consistent and compelling ways. This individual is dedicated to advancing Resource Development's 3-year vision and operational plan. Understands current trends in marketing and communications. Works effectively with multiple stakeholders across the organization to understand priority efforts and lead the team in marrying marketing plans to business strategies. Works well with matrixed team in a complex global environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy and Vision:
- Oversee Mercy Corps' global brand marketing and communications efforts.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the marketing and communications department, which will leverage online, creative, partnerships, executive positioning, and earned media assets – for the purposes of connecting Mercy Corps with target audiences on a greater scale.
- Work closely with colleagues from development, programmatic and operational departments to ensure our marketing and communications advance our fundraising, marketing and mission goals.
- Responsible for overseeing dynamic multichannel marketing campaigns. Ensures clear plan is developed, cross-functional teams are coordinating and metrics of success are established and met.
- Works with Chief Development and Marketing Officer (CDMO) on effective implementation and evolution of the brand strategy. Manage Mercy Corps' brand identity and evolution across channels. Partners with creative agencies to ensure consistency in positioning and creative execution.
- Drive research on current and potential supporter profiles and Mercy Corps' position in the marketplace.
- Successfully leads marketing function during global emergency responses.
- Effective at builds partnerships. Helps build and advance media/entertainment partnerships that leverage others' platforms to advance our mission. Partners with Corporate Relations team to develop and advance cause marketing partnerships.
- Serve as message and content czar, ensuring that we are telling consistent stories across Mercy Corps' various platforms.
- Help add several high-value media, creative, and/or entertainment leaders to the Mercy Corps board.
- Serves as a part of the RD Leadership team. Steps in as acting CMDO as needed.
Leadership and Development:
- Directly supervise marketing teams including media relations, communications strategy, creative and community relations teams.
- Shares information proactively and appropriately, creating a trusting, collaborative team environment.
- Clearly and transparently states expectations and is accountable to high standards.
- Manages performance proactively, taking steps to address poor performance.
- Coaches, develops and provides feedback to others to help them succeed and achieve their potential.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Marketing team members throughout the US. Dotted lined coordination with colleagues in Europe and globally.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Chief Development and Marketing Officer
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: VP of Corporate & Foundations Team, VP of Major Gifts and Sr. Director of Mass Marketing Fundraising. MarComm Teams. Executives and Program Leaders, the Chief Development and Marketing Officer and the Chief Executive Officer, RPDs, Field Leadership.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Track record of marketing success at a large organization, working with matrixed teams. Preferably with a purpose-driven organization.
- Executive level experience leading high-performing teams.
- 10-12 years preferably with a purpose-driven organization. Experience with an agency and/or in-house marketing team also qualifies.
- Ability to understand a complex competitive landscape, effectively steward our brand while raising the organization's global profile and advancing fundraising goals.
- Understanding of emerging marketing trends, including effective use of digital, multimedia and experiential marketing platforms.
- Experience managing complex news stories for a high profile company or organization.
- Track record of building creative, productive partnerships.
- Strong personal network of media and creative relationships.
- Understanding of fundraising, cause marketing and our sector preferred.
A successful candidate will be an excellent leader and manager. He/she will be smart, connected, and a do-er who brings 21st century marketing and communications skills to the table to help bring our brand to life effectively across all touchpoints in order to advance our mission and capture share of mind, heart and wallet. A solution-oriented team player with the ability to strategically and operationally lead teams to develop and implement integrated marketing plans to advance strategic organizational objectives. S/He builds effective partnership with development leaders to drive marketing efforts to advance fundraising goals. She/he will balance brand stewardship with aggressive fundraising strategies. The VP Marketing and Communications will show fast, creative and effective leadership during global emergencies and ensure powerful storytelling, creative products and media pitches that cut through the clutter. S/he will demonstrate the ability to envision and sell in partnerships that use others' platforms to bring honor, glory and financial support to our mission. This individual will be a wonderful communicator who is solution and action-oriented who can work well across and within matrixed teams.
LIVING /ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The position is based in Portland, Oregon. As much as 25 percent travel required in the US and abroad.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.