Consultant Media and Digital Analyst (Strategic Planning and Evaluation support function)
New York City
The Strategic Planning and Communication Support section in UNICEF’s Division of Communication is seeking a consultant to develop M&E reports and on global communication and public advocacy initiatives. Under the overall direction of the Planning Specialist, the consultant conducts research and apply strategic insights and analytics to create snapshot reports that highlight the impact of UNICEF’s public advocacy and external communication work. This assignment requires regular coordination with all DOC sections – particularly Media, Digital Strategy, and Public Advocacy, as well as with other relevant divisions, country and regional offices.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
The Strategic Planning and Communication Support section in UNICEF's Division of Communication is seeking a consultant to develop M&E reports and on global communication and public advocacy initiatives.
Under the overall direction of the Planning Specialist, the consultant conducts research and apply strategic insights and analytics to create snapshot reports that highlight the impact of UNICEF's public advocacy and external communication work. This assignment requires regular coordination with all DOC sections – particularly Media, Digital Strategy, and Public Advocacy, as well as with other relevant divisions, country and regional offices.
- Ensure an integrated approach to reporting on global campaigns or initiatives and humanitarian emergencies that includes data analysis from most relevant platforms such as websites, social media, online news and broadcast.
- Coordinate and work closely with all members of project teams within DOC to obtain necessary details on the planning and implementation of initiatives as well as work with the project teams to plan M&E activities/feedback (including, when necessary, across country offices and NatComs).
- Develop easy-to-use data collection guidance to country offices and NatComs for metrics and qualitative insights, for use on specified global campaigns and initiatives.
- Maintain a strong level of expertise in industry-leading PR measurement and analytic approaches
Analysis and Synthesis
- Coordinate and work closely with all members of project teams within DOC to obtain analytical insights (quantitative, qualitative and anecdotal) directly from the specific topic experts for further analysis and integration into snapshot reports.
- Analyze media coverage and digital conversations (both on social media and news online) to evaluate the impact of UNICEF's global communication and public advocacy initiatives, working closely with various sections to collect in-house metrics for analysis.
- Develop monthly and biannual reports on global, regional and country metrics on both online, broadcast and digital media with a special focus on UNICEF's voice.
- Prepare daily curated email alerts summarizing UNICEF coverage on news related to children (print, online and broadcast).
- Develop concise, well-thought out reports and presentations in lay terms that serve to inform UNICEF's senior managers.
- Assist with the quality control of (global) quarterly reports prepared by an external media monitoring company.
- Synthesize data and trends research to develop strategic insights to inform the development of external communication and public advocacy initiatives (including lessons learned).
- Contribute to the implementation of the Integrated Media Monitoring Programme and KPIs for the Global Communication and Public Advocacy Strategy.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- University degree in communication, marketing, public affairs, social sciences, international relations or other related discipline
- Three years' work experience in a professional capacity in monitoring and evaluation, report writing, communication/ digital media preferably within the UN or similar organization, government or NGO
- Knowledge of social media and web analytic platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc.) with advanced expertise in Microsoft excel and google forms.
- Demonstrated ability to collect information, undertake research and present findings related to communications and digital media
- Demonstrated ability of building good working relationships across working levels
- Communicates effectively in writing and verbally to varied audiences
- Sets high level of quality and productivity for self with clearly defined objectives and plans activities.
- Seeks and quickly absorbs new information and techniques
- Demonstrates good skills and relevant knowledge in own area
- Demonstrates an awareness of changes in organizational strategy that impact on own work area
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment
In your cover letter, please indicate your availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above. Also please state whether the rate is negotiable or non-negotiable. Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
Qualified candidates are requested to also attach their accomplished P11 form (which can be downloaded from the UNICEF website at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/Personal_History_P11.doc ) in their online application.
Deadline for all applications is 6 February 2017, Monday, 10:00 am EST.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New York City
- Grade: Consultancy
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Urban Development, planning and design
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2017-02-06