Managing Consultant, Economic Empowerment, MSA
Please note: this role is recruited and managed by MSA, DAI’s partner on the UKAID funded Arab Women’s Enterprise Fund (AWEF) project. The successful candidate will work on the AWEF project as part of their portfolio of work. For all enquiries please contact email@example.com
Managing Consultant, Economic Empowerment
Who we are:
MarketShare Associates (MSA) is a socially driven consulting firm committed to creating, implementing and measuring innovative economic development. We take a systems approach to problem understanding – we recognize that inclusive, sustainable development is a complex challenge. It requires us to think at multiple levels within a dynamic environment influenced by social, economic and political factors. We also take a bespoke approach to every engagement, developing tailored and contextually rooted services for clients across our three practice areas:
- Empower – economic empowerment and inclusive business
- Perform – market research and management
- Measure - results measurement and evaluation
We work with a large variety of clients and partners including bilateral and multilateral donors, non-profits and private companies, in dozens of countries across six continents.
At MSA, our staff build results measurement systems for development programs, social enterprises and impact investors; research power dynamics and their influence on market behaviors; train client staff to think more systemically about the problems they seek to address; pitch MSA’s services to new potential clients; write thought pieces; and brainstorm new approaches to old problems. Regardless of task, our focus on disrupting the status quo demands critical engagement.
- Client engagement - advises clients on economic empowerment programme implementation strategies.
- Training - trains client staff on economic empowerment.
- Research - conducts market, social and power analysis.
- Influence - contributes to the broader economic empowerment community of practice through white papers and webinars.
- New business - identifies and pursues new business opportunities in economic empowerment.
- Quality control and client management - manages client relationships and quality control over deliverables.
- Market systems - preferable experience applying economic empowerment strategies with market systems programmes.
- Learning - supports MSA learning in economic empowerment.
Who we are looking for:
MSA seeks a driven professional with economic empowerment experience to join the team in the position of Managing Consultant, preferably in the Denver, Colorado office, or to work remotely outside of Denver. We are looking for sharp candidates with technical expertise in economic empowerment programming, preferably with additional expertise in market systems and/or value chain development, who also have a desire to continuously expand their knowledge base and continue propelling MSA at the leading edge of our field.
Reporting directly to a Principal Consultant, the Managing Consultant will play a key role in driving forward MSA’s work in economic empowerment. The successful applicant will spend the majority of his/her time working directly with clients, supporting the implementation of technical assistance, and documenting and sharing lessons learned with the MSA team and wider industry. A second component of the role will be engaging in business development. MSA is growing – this opportunity offers significant opportunity for the successful candidate to grow with us, assuming progressively greater responsibility with MSA.
- A passion for learning and investigation combined with a positive, collaborative attitude.
- 7 – 10+ years of experience in economic empowerment programming in emerging economies, with at least 2 years working overseas.
- Experience working on social inclusion, gender equality and/or empowerment programming
- Preferable experience and/or knowledge in market systems, value chain and/or M4P programs
- Ability to design and conduct trainings on technical areas.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (we ’ re serious about this one).
- Ability to prioritize and deliver high quality work within tight timelines and with minimal supervision.
- A sense of humor on par with one’s level of curiosity.
This is preferably a salaried, full-time position reporting to a Principal Consultant, ideally based in Denver, Colorado (but we’re flexible on location, and also we are always looking for good part-time positions and consultants as well). The position is expected to travel 35% of their time.
Please send a CV and 1-2 page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org .