Non-Technical Survey / Community Liaison Project Manager (Head of Base)
The Danish Demining Group (DDG) is looking for a highly qualified Non-Technical Survey (NTS) / Community Liaison (CL) Project Manager to implement a pilot NTS project in Kayah State (Myanmar).
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is the Humanitarian Mine Action department of Danish Refugee Council (DRC); a humanitarian INGO providing support to displaced and conflict-affected populations in more than 35 countries.
DRC/DDG operates in Myanmar since 2008, focusing on the protection of populations displaced by the conflict in the Rakhine, Kachin, Kayah and Northern Shan States. Mine Risk Education (MRE) and Victim Assistance (VA) activities are implemented since 2012 in Kachin and Kayah States while the organization has recently opened an office in Northern Shan State where MRE and VA will also be conducted. Since November 2016, DDG has received the authorization to conduct a pilot Non-Technical Survey (NTS) in Demoso Township (Kayah State). The NTS/CL project aims at increasing the safety and security of local communities through the identification and marking of areas potentially affected by landmines and Unexploded Ordnances (UXO) and by delivering Mine Risk Education (MRE) in those areas. DRC has an established office in Kayah which also implements programming in livelihoods and community based protection.
The NTS / CL project manager is responsible for the overall implementation of and reporting on all activities included in the project, including:
- detailed planning of project roll-out, activities, and expansion in coordination with the DDG Programme Manager
- supervising technical projects implementation and staff in their duties
- projects monitoring and evaluation
- coordinating and delivering training and retraining of project staff
- high-level liaison work with stakeholders, including Sate and Township government authorities, non-state actors and other mine action organizations in the projects implementation locations
- Implementation of the project according to DDG Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and International Mine Action Standards (IMAS)
- oversight and management of the operations of the Kayah Office in Loikaw
- responsible for the administration of Kayah based programmes
- line manager for key senior staff in Kayah programme
- lead preparation of design of funding proposals to expand the portfolio of Kayah programme in HMA and related activities.
- The post will report to the Country Director with a technical reporting line to the DDG Operations Manager.
- BA level in a relevant discipline from an internationally recognized university or equivalent experience
- Proven experience with Project and staff management, preferably in a complex and fragile environment
- At least four years’ work experience working with Community Liaison / NTS / MRE-related programming
- Successful experience with implementing community liaison and non-technical survey projects
- Experience with the management of an operational base (desired)
- Experience with the management of a diverse portfolio
- Strong communication skills and experience representing an organisation at all levels, including donors, stakeholders and duty bearers in Government
- Proven ability to mentor and coach others
- Prior M&E experience
- The capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure circumstances
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Experience working with donors such as USAID and / or WRA is an asset
- You are a strong leader with an acute sense of cooperation and networking, internally and externally
- You have a documented ability to recruit for, build and motivate a team
- You show initiative, have perseverance and an ability to keep a cool head under stress
- You have attention to detail and to getting the job done
- You possess innovative and creative thinking, and strong analytical and reporting skills
All employees should master DRC's core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Ability to focus on reaching results while ensuring efficiency. Strive to produce accurate, thorough and professional work with optimal use of time and effort.
- Collaborating: Excellent in cooperating with and involve relevant parties, actively seeking their opinion and sharing key information with them. Support and trust others while encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Ability to take ownership and prioritize job according to DRC’s overall vision and goals. Take the initiative when confronted with a challenge or an opportunity and aim for innovative solutions.
- Communicating: Excellent in writing and speaking effectively and honestly while adjusting style and tone to the situation. Listening actively to others and involve them in the dialogue.
- Demonstrating integrity: Act in line with DRC’s vison, values and collaboration standards. Encourage inclusion and diversity to ensure sustainable solutions. Actively involve, respect and empower stakeholders.
- Duty station: Loikaw (Kayah State). This position is unaccompanied and R&R will be provided according to DRC/DDG Myanmar policy. Applicants must be prepared to live and work in an environment with limited recreational and social facilities when working in field locations.
- Contract: 6 months with the possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and conditions in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates and Appendix 11 as posted at www.drc.dk under Vacancies. The salary level for this position is A14. This position offers five weeks of paid annual leave per annum.
- Expected date of deployment in Myanmar is 1st March 2017. Signature of the contract is subject to funding availability.
For further information, please contact DDG’s Programme Manager in Myanmar, Pascal Simon: email@example.com. For general information about the Danish Demining Group and the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.danishdeminingroup.dk and www.drc.dk. Applications sent directly to Pascal Simon will not be considered.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework. http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html
Application and CV
- We only accept applications sent via our online system at www.drc.dk
- Please submit your application no later than 10th February 2017.
- Please annex both a CV and a “Letter of Motivation” as part of your application. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, if you experience problems with your online application.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Loikaw
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Social studies
- Closing Date: 2017-02-10