Business Relationship Management Officer (Beneficiary, Transfer and Social Protection)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are seeking to fill the position Business Relationship Management Officer (Beneficiary, Transfer & Social Protection) at the P4 level, based in Rome, Italy.
As WFP moves towards developing its strategies to support SDG17, countries are requesting WFP to implement its BTM platform SCOPE to underpin existing social action platforms, either to catalyse emerging social protection programme delivery, or to complement existing identity systems with entitlement management or transfer services. To undertake analysis, conceptualization, design and project support for these engagements, and further advance WFP’s strategies on operationalizing social protection mechanisms for shock-response, increased capacity for field-oriented business development, normative guidance and technical backstopping that is focused not only at WFP’s internal needs but its linkages to G2C and G2G support systems is required.
The incumbent will apply their knowledge, skills and business analysis tools and techniques to ensure that BTM standards, including those related to social protection engagements, are enabled by well-designed BTM processes, that necessary planning and design activities for SCOPE services in these national capacity building engagements are provided normative support, and that these can be linked and strengthen WFP assistance models.
Staff will report to Chief RMTB.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Participate in the development of business planning and strategy to advocate for business results and outcomes as well as branch functional work plans in compliance with WFP policies, standards and strategy.
- Keep abreast of relevant knowledge and best practices in the IT industry on Business Relationship Management, Business Analysis and IT Project Management, adopt best practices and guidelines and orient towards continuous improvement of the functions.
- Build and nurture strategic and working relationships with the business, aligning business needs and priorities with providers’ capabilities and service portfolio.
- Gather and shape business demand, anticipating direction of the business and offering industry, business and technology insights with potential to create value for the business environment.
- Manage business expectations in servicing demand and oversee success of business change initiatives, seeking ongoing opportunities to support or increase the business value from business-provider initiatives and services.
- Enable business change and improve ability of the business to adapt by analyzing business capabilities, defining needs, modeling the business and identifying new opportunities or recommending solutions that deliver value for business priorities.
- Keep abreast of the strategic direction, profile, environment and needs of the business holistically to identify initiatives or core business process improvements with enabling technologies that allow the business to meet its goals.
- Define and utilize techniques for eliciting, understanding, analyzing, documenting, validating and communicating business objectives, needs, requirements and process flows to ensure common understanding, agreement and prioritization between stakeholders.
- Manage the delivery of projects to ensure solutions transfer into the business in accordance with established overall project objectives and business strategies and requirements.
- Manage and motivate a team of staff, providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Staff member will be responsible for the following:
Provide business relationship management (BRM) consulting support to COs and RBs in adopting use of technology in implementing BTM processes;
Set standards for COs assistance strategy through effective application of BTM processes and interoperability frameworks that allow for exchange of data with partners and potential participation in SP sphere;
Provide support to RB officers in reviewing CO project documents submitted for Strategic Programme Review Process (sPRP) and contribute inputs to strengthen BTM components of the projects;
Coordinate maintenance and update of the global set of IT Macro and Micro Assessments including Beneficiary Information Assessments to ensure IT contribution in transfer modality decisions and also support COs to assess safety net services infrastructure;
Consolidate capability requirements for enhancement of SCOPE based on operational requirements, evolving this in keeping with changes and challenges of delivering assistance in diverse contexts in COs;
Provide advice to COs on best practice, design and implementation of SP digital solutions or eServices that are more beneficiary centred to improve quality of assistance delivery and promote greater efficiency;
Coordinate uptake of SCOPE by WFP’s partners and integration with their own solutions including positioning the platform in government SP or safety net management information system (MIS) eco-system;
Oversee development of guidance provided to COs for both organisational and capacity changes that are needed for effective SCOPE implementation and mainstreaming of BTM process and activities;
Coordinate maintenance of cash based transfers (CBT) business process model (BPM) control standards in collaboration with RB and CO compliance functions;
Participate in capacity building initiatives aimed at building solid BTM expertise amongst IT colleagues in COs thereby influence emergence of a new CO IT function that is more business aligned;
Perform any other duties as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Utilizes understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives to communicate linkages to team objectives and work.
- Be a force for positive change: Proactively identifies and develops new methods or improvements for self and immediate team to address work challenges within own work area.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Identifies opportunities to further align individual contributions with WFP’s mission of making an impact on local communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Helps colleagues to see the link between their individual tasks and the contributions of their unit’s goals to the broader context of WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Is able to identify, support and encourage focused on-the-job learning opportunities to address gaps between current skillsets and needed future skillsets for WFP.
- Create an inclusive culture: Recognizes the contributions of teammates, and encourages contributions from culturally different team mates to recognise the value of diversity above and beyond just including it in programming for beneficiaries.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Provides and solicits ongoing constructive feedback on strengths and development opportunities to help develop individual skills, whilst also helping others identify areas for improvement.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear targets for self and others to focus team efforts in ambiguous situations (e.g., unprecedented issues and/or scenarios)
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Thinks beyond team’s conventional approaches to formulate creative methods for delivering food aid and assistance to beneficiaries.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains focus on achieving individual results in the face of obstacles such as volatile or fragile environments and/or organizational roadblocks.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes personal accountability for upholding and delivering upon team’s commitments and provides assurance to stakeholders.
- Be Decisive: Demonstrates ability to adjust to team’s plans and priorities to optimize outcomes in light of evolving directives, while also responding quickly in high-pressure environments, such as in emergency settings.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Demonstrates an understanding of when and how to tactfully engage other units in conversations on impact, timing, or planning
- Build strong external partnerships: Networks regularly with key external partners using formal and informal opportunities to understand each partner’s unique value proposition, and to build and strengthen relationships
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Demonstrates ability to adapt engagement approach in the context of evolving partner circumstances and expectations
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Demonstrates ability to articulate to internal and external audiences the value that individual contributions and immediate teams bring to partnerships.
Capability NameDescription of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level**Governance, Strategy and Architecture**Implements improvements to WFP’s IT governance structure, strategy, and procedures by scanning future industry trends, providing clarity on policies and capturing potential opportunities. Ensures compliance with organizational IT policies and procedures and overall information management strategy.**Change Implementation, Project Management, Planning and Optimization**Leverages specialized knowledge of change management processes and tools in guiding others to deliver integrated solutions with minimal delays, issues and cost. Takes full responsibility for the definition, documentation and successful completion of complex projects.**Technical Expertise**Utilizes expertise in multiple technical domains and understands how all technical aspects fit together and impact the business; Creates a technically expert organization by implementing action plans to build depth of technical expertise across the function.**Requirement Definition & Management**Applies detailed understanding of changing business environment and its impact to confirm requirement specifications for management purposes and develop IT solutions that meet key functional and/or overall WFP objectives.**Strategic Account Management**Champions a culture in which IT team members actively work with clients and stakeholders to understand their needs to solidify IT’s position as a strategic partner to the business.**Business Analysis**Serves as an advocate of technology capabilities to support the strategic needs of the business; Collaborates with business to define objectives, conducts feasibility studies to validate business needs and oversees the development and implementation of corresponding solutions.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-graduate degree in a relevant discipline (including, but not limited to: business management, economics, public policy, social policy, computer science, social science) or related field with relevant work experience.
- Training and knowledge of business analysis philosophies and methodologies would be an asset
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
Experience: At least eight years of post graduate progressively responsible professional experience in humanitarian aid operations and/or business systems analysis, design and development.
- Proven experience and knowledge of and hands-on experience in cash based transfers (CBT) programming in humanitarian contexts;
- Awareness of technologies used in social protection;
- Possession of a combination of broad business skills and IT experience including:
- General management skills in business and public sector contexts;
- Proven project management experience;
- Business analysis including creation and review of functional and non-functional business requirements for IT solutions;
- Understanding of poverty dynamics, social protection principles and their application to current national economic and development issues;
- Proven capacity to deal with complex policy analyses and poverty research;
- Proven ability to produce reports and/or research papers with a good command of poverty and social protection issues.
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Broad knowledge and good understanding of innovative technologies that could be leveraged in beneficiary and transfer management including their risks and limitations.
- Knowledge of social protection digital infrastructures are essential.
- In addition possess change management skills and experience, and ability to think strategically.
- Possess well-honed communications skills and confident style that projects authority and personal influence that is independent of hierarchical position.
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and appropriately with executive and management level business partners, non-technical end users, technical subject matter experts and vendors. Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Good knowledge and appreciation of IT trends and strategies including business vision and application technologies; Ability to consult with colleagues at all levels of the organisation, identify IT requirements and articulate technical information in easily understood terms; Good organisational skills and time management.
All applicants will need to apply online: https://career012.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=14501&company=C0000168410P&username
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Rome
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Social studies
- Human Rights
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Civil Society
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2017-02-24