VN 2017/37 (P) - Senior Regional Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Specialist (P4) - Nairobi, Kenya
Position Title Senior Regional Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Specialist
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 09 February 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
3. External female candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director of the East Africa region in Nairobi and with technical oversight of the Head of the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division at IOM Headquarters (HQs) in Geneva, the successful candidate will be accountable and
responsible for: the monitoring and analysis of regional thematic trends; the development of and support to thematic projects in the region; as well as reviews and endorsement of projects related to his/her thematic area of expertise in the East Africa region in the technical field of Immigration & Border Management (IBM).
The IBM RTS will serve as an expert resource for Immigration & Border Management
programming in the region in support of IOM Missions and Offices. In particular he/she will: Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Act as a thematic resource person providing capacity building, training, and general support Page 1 / 4to Country Offices (COs) in the region. Contribute to building the capacities of IOM staff in the thematic area through a combination of formal training and on the-job mentoring. Assist Missions and Offices in developing, implementing and monitoring IOM’s IBM strategy and activities in the region, including, but not limited to, opportunities arising from regional and sub-regional discussions among the concerned governments.
2. Review, endorse and track IBM project proposals developed by COs in the region, and provide regular updates to the concerned HQs Division on projects endorsed. Apply quality control by ensuring that all endorsed projects are:
a. Consistent with the IOM Constitution, IOM Strategy and the Organization’s policies, thematic guidelines and manuals and any relevant national and/or regional strategies;
b. Coherent, relevant, and feasible, and take into account good practices in the field of Immigration and Border Management;
c. Developed according to IOM’s project development procedures as established in the IOM Handbook on Project Development.
3. Identify emerging issues relevant to the IBM thematic area and contribute to the development of thematic policy and reports. Monitor developments in the thematic area, and assist IOM Missions/Offices in the region in project development and implementation in close collaboration with the Regional Policy and Liaison Officers for the two regions, COs and relevant HQs Departments.
4. Develop regional and multi-country programmes and projects in the IBM thematic area to be implemented by field missions, and identify anticipated synergies between thematic areas (Labour Migration, Counter Trafficking/ Irregular Migration, Migration and Health, etc.) in close coordination with HQs, other Regional Offices, COs.
5. Provide advice to Country Offices on resource mobilization. Review and endorse narrative donor reports submitted by Country Offices, according to the procedures specified in the IOM Project Handbook.
6. Participate in and actively contribute to IOM’s network of Regional Thematic Specialists (RTSs) globally, analyze and share best practices with relevant HQs Divisions and COs. 7. Develop regional IBM thematic guidance notes, information sheets and policy documents in coordination with the RPLO, COs and relevant HQs Division(s).
8. Provide IBM thematic guidance to Project Managers through sharing information with the COs at the regional level and providing general technical support upon request from the Field in coordination with the RPLO.
9. Support regional strategic planning exercises, and provide support for country level strategic planning, as required and in collaboration with the RTSs.
10. Ensure development and delivery of quality thematic training/workshops to governments as required by COs in the region. Help ensure responsive and professional technical support to governments/administrations, and IOM Missions/Offices through, among other activities, development and provision of information resources and training, border and migration management assessments and chairing or presentations in conferences.
11. Represent IOM in the region by actively participating in conferences, workshops and meetings related to the thematic area of expertise, as required by the Regional Director. Develop synergies and partnerships with other agencies active in the specific technical programming areas as well as with potential donors.
12. Cooperate, participate and develop relations with international and regional organizations relevant for IBM issues and - in close cooperation with IOM Washington, IOM Tokyo, as well as IOM Brussels - with key-donors for IBM projects in the region.
Page 2 / 413. If indicated, oversee project implementation of IBM projects that might be directly implemented by the RO (subject to prior exceptional authorization given by DGO). 14. Provide thematic and administrative supervision to staff, interns and consultants hired by the Regional Office for specific regional, thematic tasks.
15. Participate and contribute to Regional, Continental and Interregional Consultative Processes.
16. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM project development, and management;
• Demonstrated expertise in the thematic areas relevant to IBM project development listed above;
• Experience of running large IBM projects and programmes, delivering IBM-related training/workshops to Government officials desirable;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
• Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation;
• Extensive work experience with Government in the thematic area.
• Have a strong background on biometric technologies to support COs with advice and innovative ideas which can be applied in the area of border- and identity management. Languages
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French or a regional language is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
Page 3 / 4• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 09 February 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 27.01.2017 to 09.02.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/37 (P) - Senior Regional IBM Specialist (P4) - Nairobi, Kenya (54952385) Released Posting: Posting NC54952405 (54952405) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Nairobi (Kenya)
- Grade: P-4, International Professional - Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-02-09
P-3, International Professional