Education Programme Development Manager - Nigeria
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the camp management, shelter, education, food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. Borno State is host to the largest number of IDPs with the biggest concentration in Maiduguri City. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The Education PDM reports to the Area Manager.
- Take the leadership on the start- up of education activities
- Undertake education programme risk analysis applying Education Conflict Sensitivity Approach
- Support in the recruitment of Education staff and development of their work roles and responsibilities
- Identify country programme priorities, problems and challenges from an Education perspective
- Responsible for the development and management of funding proposals, project budgets and donor reports.
- Overall management of project staff.
- Develop Education strategy, tools, technical SOPs / guidelines and Macro LFAs.
- Minimum 3 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Technical Education expertise
- Strong capacity in leading proposal development
- Experience with start-up of programmes
- Experience in implementation and managing of education projects in emergency settings as well as in early recovery
- Experience in programme management associated to education in emergencies, safe school declaration, youth programming and accelerated education
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments
- Working with people
- Strategic thinking
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: March 2017
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and free housing of moderate standard.
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Maiduguri is a non-family posting. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area. Recreational and social facilities are limited, and accommodation is modest. International staff members are required to live in joint accommodation.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Maiduguri
- Grade: Mid level
- Emergency Aid
- Development Cooperation
- Education and Training
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-02-14