Legal Aid Officer - National Contract
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in 40 countries around the world.
DRC’s mandate is driven by three global strategic objectives within the DRC Assistance Framework: Saving lives and alleviation of immediate suffering among people affected by conflict, Safeguarding, restoration and development of livelihoods, and, Institutional and organisational change that contributes to protection of people’s rights and peaceful handling of conflict.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, Thessaloniki and Larisa in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under the close cooperation of the Legal Aid Team Leader in Larisa/Greece, the legal aid officer will be referred legal cases to be followed up on site, deliver info session on legal matters and assist in different cases regarding the rights of the asylum seekers.
Furthermore, the Legal Aid Officer will develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s Legal Aid program.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Work in close cooperation with DRC Legal Aid Team Leader and thereby be able to respond to the continuously monitoring and documented needs of the persons of concern
- Handle the identified legal cases from the sites
- Provide individual counselling on e.g. the asylum procedure/international protection, follow up on cases regarding the European Relocation scheme and other cases that need legal assistance
- Provide legal assistance in administrative procedures regarding issuing of birth certificate, tax number, work permit and the like
- Provide legal info sessions regarding the asylum procedure, rigths and obligations of an asylumseeker or other relevant legal topics
- Provide legal aid statistics
- Document case studies, best practices and lessons learned from the legal cases handled
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Legal Aid Team Leader, relevant to the achievement of the legal aid objectives
- Law degree and relevant experience with refugee/migration law and humanitarian law
- Excellent verbal and written English and Greek skills
- Working knowledge of Arabic or Farsi is an added advantage
- At least three years working experience in a related field; previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Strong computer skills
- High professional ethics
- Driving licence
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principle
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
All work related transport costs from duty station to other work sites are refundable.
All communication costs work related are refundable.
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Larisa (Greece), including visiting the sites of Koutsohero, Volos, Trikala and Thermopyles and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on 12th of February 2017.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Larissa
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: 2017-02-12