Job Tittle: Safety Coordinator
Location: Addis Ababa with frequent travel to field offices
Duration: One Year
Posting Date: February 6, 2017
DRC is an international non-governmental organization that promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
DRC has been operating in the Horn of Africa and Yemen for over a decade, running a combination of livelihood, protection, advocacy and relief programmes. In Ethiopia, DRC has programme offices in Djibouti, Addis Ababa, Gambella, Dollo Ado, Jijiga, and Shire. While much of the work done by the organization focuses on displaced populations and asylum seekers, DRC also implements programmes in support of the refugee hosting populations.
DRC’s Safety Risk Management System in the HoA&Y area has been developed to a robust level over the past five years. Procedures, protocols and policies are in place and largely implemented throughout the region. Training modules have been standardized and delivered on a regular basis, and safety management receives strong support and attention from managers at all levels.
The Safety Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the development and implementation of the DRC Safety Risk Management (SRM) system throughout the DRC areas of operation in Ethiopia and Djibouti. This will be done in close cooperation with the Regional Safety Advisor, Country Director, Area Managers, and Safety Focal Points in the DRC field offices in Ethiopia and Djibouti.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate compliance audits as part of the Safety Risk Management (SRM) system, including Minimum Operating Safety Standards (MOSS) and Safely Level System (SLS) audits.
- Training of local staff and mentoring of Local Safety Officers (LSOs) and Safety Focal Points (SFPs), including Personal Awareness and Safety Training, staff inductions, and training on Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Assist in the implementation of safety management policies, protocols and procedures, including Safety Improvement Plans
- Facilitate programme access and continuity through the provision of dependable advice, weekly sit-reps, and safety advisories, as needed
- Maintain relevant safety documentation, data and records, including training registers and incident inquiries and reporting
- Coordinate the country level Incident Management Team (IMT) and support Area IMTs
- Represent the DRC Ethiopia programmes within inter-agency fora as related to safety issues
- Regularly monitor the organization’s Motor Vehicles using the established tracking system.
- Visit the field offices a minimum of every 2 months and review the MOSS in liaison with the Area and Field Managers.
- Any other duties as directed by the Country Director
Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree in relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 5 to 8 years of experience at a mid to senior level, preferably with experience in the NGO field.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Experience working with NGOs/International Organizations in a complex humanitarian context
- Military and/or Police experience is not required; NGO safety management experience is desirable
- Computer software skills, including sound knowledge of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team-player
- Willingness to travel widely throughout Ethiopia, Djibouti and the HoA&Y region
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing, including negotiations and mediation
- Previous experience as a trainer/instructor/teacher
Reporting: The Safety Coordinator reports to the Country Director and works closely with the Regional Safety Advisor (RSA) and senior programme staff in the relevant areas of operations.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.dk under vacancies no later than February 19, 2017.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
We encourage all qualified Ethiopian National candidates to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit. It is DRC policy to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to gender, race, national, clan or tribal origin, religion, age, sex, origin or ancestry, marital status, social status, sexual orientation, or status as a qualified disabled individual.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Grade: Level not specified
- Security and Safety
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: 2017-02-19