VN 2017/31 (P) - Chief of Mission (P3) - Yaoundé, Cameroon
Position Title Chief of Mission
Duty Station : Yaoundé, Cameroon
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 19 February 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the supervision of the Regional Director for West and Central Africa in Dakar and in close cooperation with relevant missions in the field and units at Headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will be IOM's interlocutor with the Government of Cameroon. S/he will be responsible and accountable for promoting, developing and implementing the full range of IOM services in Cameroon within the overall regional framework.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Manage the operational, administrative and financial activities of the Mission, as well as supervise its staff. Maintain accounts of income and expenditure in accordance with relevant rules, regulations and procedures; ensure that account, budget and other financial information is submitted in a timely manner; participate in the recruitment and training of local staff; assign, control and evaluate work; and handle the administration of office space, equipment, vehicles and supplies
2. Maintain and further develop liaison with local governmental authorities and diplomatic missions, UN-agencies, international, regional and non-governmental organizations as well as voluntary agencies, airlines and public media.
Page 1 / 33. Review and exchange information on activities, respond to queries and requests for information. Prepare regular and special reports, briefings, presentations and background information, including status, statistical and other types of reports requested by HQs, the Government and other entities.
4. Participate in appropriate policy and operational United Nations Country Team (UNCT) inter-agency mechanisms, in particular with a view to migration related issues into the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) process.
5. Draft project documents or proposals for submission to potential donors. Implement established fund raising strategies for the country and/or region. Follow-up on project funding. 6. Monitor the implementation of ongoing projects and operations and prepare progress reports as required. Provide guidance and information to resolve problems, analyze operational procedures and project effectiveness and recommend improvements. Ensure that Memoranda of Understanding and any other agreements are followed and adhered to. 7. Analyse migration-related trends and issues, and prepare proposals for appropriate action. Advise the RD on governmental policies affecting the activities of IOM. Prepare briefings and provide background, country specific and other requested information on activities and developments.
8. Identify new programme opportunities and recommend project ideas. Collaborate with relevant authorities, entities and HQs units in the design of new and modification of existing projects. Contribute to and provide assistance related to regional priorities. 9. Evaluate operational and administrative activities and prepare recommendations with a view to increasing their effectiveness and streamlining procedures.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in the field of migration issues including operational and field experience, project development / office management;
• Experience on project management;
• Demonstrated expertise in post-conflict /emergency operations;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities, as well as, with national and international institutions;
• Previous experience working with IOM and with UN specialized agencies an advantage. Languages
Fluency in English and French is required.
Page 2 / 3Behavioral
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 19 February 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 06.02.2017 to 19.02.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/31 (P) - Chief of Mission (P3) - Yaoundé, Cameroon (54943834) Released Posting: Posting NC54943843 (54943843) Released
Page 3 / 3
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Yaoundé
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-02-19