Protection Officer (National Contract)
We are looking for a highly qualified Protection Officer is responsible for implementing DRC’s standalone protection activities in Azraq camp, with a particular focus on psychosocial support activities and referrals to other service providers.
Who are we?
DRC is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. With the vision that no displaced person must be in want of help to find protection and durable solutions, DRC provides assistance and protection to conflict-affected in many of the major conflicts in Asia, Africa and Middle East. The assistance can consist of relief and other humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and support to returning home, and the promotion of durable solutions.
About the job
The Protection Officer provides technical support to volunteers and ensures protection in mainstreamed into all DRC interventions in the camp.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Plan, implement and report on all psychosocial support activities in a participatory manner, including those delivered in DRC’s Child Friendly Space
• Develop well structured plans for all psychosocial activites
• Conduct intake and post-session assessments for all PSS beneficiaries
• Weekly and monthly reports on progress against targets
• Contribute to data entry and analysis of gathered information.
• Work with outreach/volunteer teams to disemminate key protection messages to refugees living in Azraq camp.
• Identify protection cases and other service needs and ensure timly referral and follow up, documenting all cases referred by DRC to other service providers, as per DRC standards for referrals and data protection.
• Data collection to support protection assessments, as required (conduct interviews, focus group discussions, questionnaires etc.)
• Work in close coordination with the Azraq Program team to ensure protection activities are in line with overall projects and targets for protection activities are met.
• Keep Senior Protection Officer appraised of gaps and problems in protection programming and issues for internal improvement, advocacy or take-up with other agencies.
• Contribute and support effective monitoring, evaluation and learning processes and initiatives, ensure effective data and information management and contribute to regular reporting on protection activities.
• Support the Senior Protection Officer in ensuring that protection is mainstreamed into all DRC projects implemented in Azraq Refugee Camp, in line with international standards and relevant DRC Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this role you must have:
• Tertiary qualifications in psychology, social work, social sciences, human rights, development or a relevant equivalent
• Strong knowledge of protection related needs, services and challenges
• Proven experience in planning and facilitating psychosocial support activities for women, children, youth and vulnerable groups
• Familiarity with IASC Guidelines on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Emergency Settings
• Fluency in Arabic and strong English language skills.
• Ability and willingness to maintain regular presence at Azraq camp (daily travel)
• Experience working on sensitive protection activities that require discretion and adherance to data protection protocols.
• Demonstrated commitment to serving vulnerable individuals with respect, patience and understanding
• Desire to learn and constantly improve work by applying what is learned to daily activities
• Ability to work effectively as an integral part of multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural team and to work with a wide range of actors
• Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
• At least 2 years experience in implementing group activities for children and/or adults.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a six months contract including three months as probation period , renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start on March, 2017 and be willing and able to work in Azraq -Jordan.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at Grade D.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 23-February- 2017.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact Tarina Rubin at firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Azraq
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Legal - International Law
- Closing Date: 2017-03-19