Chief Child Survival & Development, P-5, Luanda, Angola, #51258
The Chief, Child Survival and Development Section reports to the Deputy Representative for general guidance and programmatic direction. The Chief is responsible for leading and managing all stages of health, nutrition and HIV programmers/projects (gender, maternal, neonatal, child survival, and emergency preparedness & response).
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The Chief, Child Survival and Development Section reports to the Deputy Representative for general guidance and programmatic direction. The Chief is responsible for leading and managing all stages of health, nutrition and HIV programmers/projects (gender, maternal, neonatal, child survival, and emergency preparedness & response). This includes from strategic planning, implementation and formulation to delivery of results; and for leading and managing the CSD team including establishing individual, sectoral and intersectoral plans of action to achieve concrete and sustainable results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM) and UNICEF's Strategic Plans, standards of performance and accountability framework. The Chief does so in close consultation with the Regional Health, HIV and Nutrition Regional advisors as well as HQ Health and Nutrition teams.
Key Expected Results
The strategic and effective planning and formulation of health, HIV and nutrition programs/projects and the achievement of sustainable results, directly impact the improvement of the health and nutritional well-being of the most marginalized and vulnerable women and children in the country; and this will in turn contribute to maintaining/enhancing the credibility and ability of UNICEF to continue to provide program services that protect the rights of children, promote greater social equality to enable children to survive, grow, develop and reach their full potential in society.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
1. Managerial and Technical leadership
- Aligns and harmonizes the Section's annual work plan with the CO AMP priorities; set sectoral priorities/targets and performance measurement. Monitor work progress and ensure results are achieved according to schedule and performance standards.
- Assist staff members to establish clear individual performance objectives, goals and timelines; and provide timely guidance to enable the team to perform their duties responsibly and efficiently. Plan and ensure timely performance management and assessment of the team.
- Supervise and guide team members by providing them with clear goals and objectives, direction and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently.
2. Program design, development and planning
- Lead/support the planning and conduct/update of situation analysis to establish comprehensive/updated strategic plan for program development, design and management of health related programs.
- Keep abreast of national/regional/global development child survival trends and priorities to determine the strategies, approaches and priorities for programming to respond to the country's health, HIV and nutrition needs.
- Lead, coordinate and work synergistically with other key stakeholders in the development of child survival initiatives (as a component of the CO and/or UNPAF programs); and establish plans of action (RWP), program goals and results using results-based planning methodology and tools (RBM).
- Oversee the timely preparation of the (CSD) program recommendation and related documentation for inclusion in the Country Office Program recommendation ensuring alignment with the overall UNICEF's Strategic Plans, regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Consult and collaborate with internal and external colleagues as well as partners to provide technical guidance and operational support in program planning, management and implementation so as to ensure synergy, integration, coherence, and harmonization of programs/projects initiatives with UNICEF Strategic Plans and priorities.
3. Program management, monitoring and quality control of results
- Coordinate, plan and/or collaborate with Government and UN partners in the monitoring and evaluation initiatives to establish benchmarks, performance indicators and/or other system indicators, to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results in CSD programmes.
- Participate in major monitoring and evaluation exercises, office program reviews and annual sector reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve desired results.
- Conduct regular monitoring and evaluation to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in program and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Monitor programs/projects to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely actions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Plan, approve, monitor, control and account for the use of program resources (financial, human, administrative and other assets) certifying/verifying compliance with organizational rules, regulations and procedures, donor commitments and standards of accountability and integrity. Ensure timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Submit timely program/project reports to donors and other partners to keep them informed on program progress and critical issues.
4. Advisory services and technical support
- Advise key government officials, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners on policies, effective strategies, best practices and approaches on CSD and related issues to support program development planning, management, implementation and delivery of results.
- Participate in strategic discussions to influence policy discussions and agenda setting to promote health, HIV and nutrition and development issues especially in the areas of gender, emergency preparedness & response and maternal, neonatal and child survival and development.
5. Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships with health, HIV and Nutrition sectors with government counterparts; national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of UNICEF mission, goals and programs and resource mobilizations needs.
- Collaborate with C4D colleagues to develop communication strategies and implementation plans and activities for maximum communication impact and outreach to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for UNICEF and Country Office health and nutrition programs (maternal, neonatal and child survival).
- Participate and/or represent the UNICEF in inter-agency (UNCT) discussions, national consultative meetings and any planning on health, HIV and nutrition and related issues to ensure organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNPAF process in development planning and agenda setting. Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues UNPAF planning and preparation of health programs/projects.
6. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Promote critical thinking, innovative approaches and good practices for sustainable health and nutrition programs/projects initiatives.
- Keep abreast of operational research findings, benchmarking and implementation of best and cutting edge practices in the health, HIV and nutrition programme, including management information systems. Institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Lead and/or develop policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- Lead/plan/implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on health and nutrition related programs/projects.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced University Degree in Medicine, Public health, Pediatric health, family health, health research, global/international health, health policy and/or management, environmental health sciences, biostatistics, socio-medical, health education, nutritionist and epidemiology or other health related sciences is required.
- A minimum of ten years of professional experience in public health planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal and neonatal health care, health emergency/humanitarian preparedness, at the international level some of which preferably in a developing country is required.
- Relevant experience in health program/project development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset
- Fluency in English (written and verbal) is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset; and fluency of Portuguese is highly desirable.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication - Level III
- Working with People - Level III
- Drive for Results - Level III
- Leading and supervising - Level III
- Formulating strategies and concepts - Level III
- Analyzing - Level III
- Relating and networking - Level III
- Decising and initiating action - Level III
- Persuading and influencing - Level II
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Kigali (Rwanda)
- Grade: P-5, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Social Affairs
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2017-02-23