Market Development Manager (EMEA)
Habitat for Humanity International, through the support of its generous donors, is expanding the Center for Innovation in Shelter and Finance initiative and currently recruiting for a Market Development Manager to be based at our regional office in Pretoria, South Africa.
The Market Development Manager is part of a global team of experts in market development supporting Europe Middle East and Africa (EMEA), with a key focus on advancing housing-related market development activities for the region. This position actively works with local firms, including private, public and nonprofit sector, assisting them in making housing markets work better for poor people, as well as supporting Habitat for Humanity organizations in the region with their market development strategies and efforts.
JOB TITLE: Market Development Manager (EMEA)
JOB LOCATION: Position will be hired locally in Pretoria, South Africa.
TRAVEL REQUIRED: 50%
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Work closely with the EMEA Director – Market Development & Housing Finance on developing and instituting strategies to maximize outcomes in the regional market, focusing on consumer demand and regional trends, as well as demand-side and sourcing goods and services.
- Actively identify the challenges and opportunities present within the affordable housing sector to support low and very low income populations in EMEA.
- Seek out and pursue new business opportunities to intervene in different components of the housing market system through direct contacts, and prepare project proposals, including establishing project teams and consortia.
Lead the design of a portfolio of projects related to housing market development regionally and in support of Habitat for Humanity organizations in EMEA, including:
- Analyze housing market systems.
- Identify and facilitate contacts with key private sector firms.
- Identify any gap currently existing in low-income housing services provision.
- Examine public sector organizations, including the regulatory and policy framework that affects the affordable housing market.
- Analyze qualitative data and write up results for program design.
- Develop and maintain networks of local housing consultants and associates with skills in housing, private sector development, and monitoring and evaluation; build partnerships with like-minded organizations with complementary skills and interests.
- Facilitate the development of products or services that exploit a particular niche in the market, and participate and lead product development, pricing, and distribution strategies.
- Support national organizations in all of the above activities, as well as build their market development capacities.
- Engage with other internal market systems practitioners and mentors through webinars, peer to peer networking events, learning forums, e-discussions, delivery of case studies; and develop and maintain online tools for potential collaboration.
- Research and identify opportunities for events, when requested, including topics, attendees and collaborations, and assist with the organization and follow-through.
- Coordinate regional work with entrepreneur accelerator programs as needed to bring innovation to the affordable housing market.
- In coordination with the director, support specific programs such as the Ron Terwilliger Fellows, the Market Development Showcase projects, and the Shelter Venture Lab Fund Advisory Services.
ABOUT THE TERWILLIGER CENTER FOR INNOVATION IN SHELTER:
The Terwilliger Center for Innovation in Shelter works with housing market systems by supporting local firms and expanding innovative and client-responsive services, products and financing so that households can improve their shelter more effectively and efficiently. Acting as a market facilitator through the Terwilliger Center, Habitat for Humanity will have exponentially more impact by improving systems that make better housing possible for millions more families, most of whom build their homes in stages. The Terwilliger Center’s approach stays true to Habitat for Humanity’s original principles of self-help and sustainability by focusing on improving systems that enable families to achieve affordable shelter without needing ongoing direct support.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, business administration, international development or a related field.
- 8+ years of professional experience applying market systems development approaches for developing businesses, partnerships and relationships, including experience with value chain analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in the private sector and knowledge of the role of private sector actors, the functioning of markets and the opportunities for inclusive economic growth in EMEA.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, such as a proven ability to mentor staff and collaborate with partners from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Outstanding command of written and oral English.
- Fluency in another of the languages spoken in EMEA.
- Capacity to lead, design and facilitate participatory workshops and events (seminars, trainings) that engage market actors, in a meaningful way.
- Willing and able to travel up to 50%.
- Position will be hired locally in Pretoria, South Africa.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Knowledge of the housing sector including housing value chain analysis strongly preferred.
- Specialized in a relevant sector (renewable energy, water and sanitation, urban development).
- Knowledge and experience in negotiating public-private sector partnerships.
- Excellent computer and Information and Communication Technology skills.
- An individual who is target-oriented, has the ability and aspiration to learn fast, is effective in a team and autonomously, and enjoys being challenged.
To be considered for this opportunity, please apply directly at : https://www.devex.com/jobs/market-development-manager-emea-473791
- Organization: Habitat for Humanity
- Location: Southern Africa
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-03-09