We are looking for highly qualified Protection Translator for our program in Turkey.
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Turkey since early 2013, working with by and large with non-camp Syrian refugees and affected host communities. DRC is committed to basic humanitarian principles; including impartiality and neutrality, and offers the highest standards of accountability to the people it serves. The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection and self-reliance support as well as a more long term focus on capacity building. In Turkey, DRC works partially through partners, also providing intensive capacity building support, while also conducting direct implementation.
About the job
The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection and self-reliance support as well as a more long term focus on capacity building. DRC works with beneficiary communities and individuals to prevent and reduce protection threats, and build resiliance.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide necessary translation and interpretation services - both at the Antakya Office and at field level in Hatay city - from Arabic to English and English to Turkish, facilitating smooth communication between staff and the target audience
· Support smooth implementation of beneficiary interviews, awareness raising, M&E and referral activities, with adequate translation and interpretation
· Assist target groups (children, women, adults) in expressing their needs/demands to the protection assistants and other relevant staff specified by the supervisor
· Assists in translation and recording of the needs, suggestions, feedback of beneficiaries where necessary
· Provide adequate translation services for referrals that may require use of special terminology (legal, educational, medical)
· Provide translation for any kind of promotional materials related to the Protection Program
· Report the severe/urgent referral needs/observations to the Project Officer
· Supervise staff translation on relevant content and communication with target audience
· Active participation in team meetings
· Perform other duties as required and agreed with the Senior Protection Officer
To be successful in this role you must have University degree in Arabic and English literature combined with additional specialized/context based translation and interpretation trainings e.i. protection, health and community services.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
· At least one year experience of providing translation and interpretation services in humanitarian and protection context, from Arabic to English and vice versa
· Good communication skills
· Good team working skills
· Commitment to the values, vision and mission of DRC
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Well-developed organizational skills
· Experience in working with NGOs, especially in protection sector
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 9 months’ contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work 01.03.2017 and be willing and able to work in Antakya - Hatay.
We offer a fair compensation package depending on your qualification and experiences as well as additional allowances such as relocation allowance and living allowances, if applicable. DRC Turkey is income tax exempted.
Interested? Then apply for this
position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 23 February 2017. The interviews are expected to take place within 1 week after the application close date.
Need further information?
Please note that applications sent directly to [contact name] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Antakya
- Grade: Level not specified
- Legal - International Law
- Closing Date: 2017-02-23