Rapid Response Project Coordinator (National Position) Erbil Area Office - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil and Kirkuk.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of this position is to implement delegated rapid response project portfolios, comprised of rapid assessments, Non-food Item (NFI) distributions and/or emergency cash activities.
The Rapid Response Project Coordinator manages sand supervises the implementing staff of the projects on daily basis. The post holder provides support to the staff, participates in daily planning, and assigns tasks and responsibilities to the staff to implement their daily activities and tasks. Rapid Response Project Coordinator provides regular progress reports to Project Manager/ Area Manager.
The Rapid Response Project Coordinator will primarily be responsible for managing the Rapid Response Officers and Rapid Response Assistants. In addition, the Project Coordinator will be managing relations and Liaising with relevant local authorities, security forces and other key stakeholders and community leaders.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A university graduate in relevant field with at least 3 years of experience from working as a Project Coordinator and Project Management in humanitarian and recover/context. The candidate ideally should have previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. The candidate should have documented results related to the position responsibilities. Fluency in spoken, written Kurdish, Arabic and English. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to Rapid Response strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of Rapid Response projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from Project Manager /Area Manager in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Work with the relevant managers and specialists to establish a network of potential implementing partners, link up with authorities and security forces that will facilitate access to new operational areas.
- Provide support with the overall development of contingency plans in the current and new areas of operation.
- Ensure there is a constant coordination with other support functions such as logistics, security and finance to facilitate the rapid response.
- Design weekly and monthly implementation work plans, in cooperation with the officers.
- Visit/supervise regularly all the NRC implementation sites. Conduct spot checks to ensure that all SoPs are in place.
- Participate in all relevant Coordination, Cluster and Working Group meetings.
- Participate in the recruitment of field staff and ensure all staff undertake the NRC performance management review.
- Responsible for the security of the staff in the field.
- Supervise that the Information Management systems are in place according to the reporting and data collection requirements.
- Advanced computer skills, especially in Word and Excel. Knowledge of Microsoft project is preferable
- Experience from working in a NFI/cash distribution project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Knowledge about Management and own leadership skills/profile
- Knowledge about conflict management and problem solving
- Excellent negotiator and very good communication skills.
- Very good contextual knowledge in areas of operations (Kurdistan and Ninewa).
The post will be for (6) months contract duration (with possible extension).
Salary/benefits: 3,374,200 IQD gross salary with health insurance.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for the position
Duty Station: Erbil with frequent visits to Mosul Areas
For more information, please find attached the Job Description
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Mid level
- Emergency Aid
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Humanitarian Aid
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2017-02-25